StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · filter for finding a stock trending up or down<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up
eyoung
42 posts
msg #31868
Ignore eyoung
4/25/2004 9:27:49 PM

im trying to find how to write a filter for a stock who's price is trending up for the last week, month or year, and the same for trending down
thanks
eyoung

ramstar
6 posts
msg #31950
Ignore ramstar
5/2/2004 9:40:08 AM

ghopper

I have been also looking for ways to write such filters to be able to catch stocks like taser early on. i would greatly appreciate some help from the experts. Maybe Zuber can help. Thanks

wallman
299 posts
msg #31952
Ignore wallman
5/2/2004 1:38:14 PM

Ramstar, TASR and the filter i used to pick it up at 4.40 on 9-26 is discussed on the 2-14 thread "New User" under the General Discussion forum ....maybe this can help

EWZuber
1,373 posts
msg #31957
Ignore EWZuber
5/2/2004 10:03:43 PM

ramstar
To catch them early.
Looking at TASR from a Stochastic, Trendlines, Volume & Fundamentals point of view, starting with a 2 Year, Quarterly Chart ( that is, every candlestick or chart bar represents a 3 month period ) you can see ( using 5,5 or 5,3 timing ) that the onset of a very long and very powerful move higher began around the start of 2003 where the Stochastic Fast line crossed above the Slow line, indicating a very long term accumulation phase had likely begun. ( also note that in this time frame, currently, in the present, a long term distribution has recently begun ).
Breaking it down further to the Monthly chart we see that the Resistance trendline was broken around Dec.of 2002 and stochastics indicate the start of an accumulation phase in this time frame also in Jan. In April we also see an influx of volume about 3X greater than in March.
Also notice that this is exactly when earnings turned positive. So we begin to see a very powerful convergence of events. Much like what was seen in MEM recently and POSO.
Breaking it down further Weekly chart stochastics crossed over in Feb at $0.63 with a break of the corrispondingly shorter term Resistance Trendline.

Unfortunately SF does not offer screens in these longer term time frames or screens for trendlines or fundamentals like EPS. I may be wrong about this, if I am please correct me.
What I would lke to use is a screen that will find stocks that have just had a Stochastic Fast line cross above the slow line on Quarterly, Monthly and Weekly charts while oversold on Daily charts. Where the Trendline ( or implied trendline ) in any specific time frame can be selected and confirmed as violated or 'near to' or 'approaching within a specified percentage' and where EPS has recently changed from losses to gains.

One way to find some of these is to use this screen,
SHOW STOCKS WHERE WEEKLY SLOW STOCHASTICS(5,3)FAST %K IS LESS THAN 25 AND THE CHART IS WEEKLY AND SLOW STOCHASTICS(5,3) FAST %K IS LESS THAN 25 AND PRICE IS BETWEEN .50 AND 10 AND VOLUME(90) IS ABOVE 100,000 AND VOLUME IS ABOVE 100,000.

then use Quarterly charts to screen by hand and choose whatever time frame you wish to trade in, to draw the trendlines. If you use something like Bigcharts, they allow the EPS to be shown on the chart which can serve as a quick and dirty fundamental screen. If it looks good then one can dig further into fundamentals using the 'NASDAQ' or 'Smartmoney' sites.

To find what I want requires a round about search and other sources. In another approach I have tried to design screens that look for stocks that have made recent 20day, or 4 Month, 6 Month and 1 Year highs and are close to those old highs and are oversold below 50 on stochastics. This tells us that the stock has had the strength to close in on an old high while still oversold. This increases the odds of having sufficient reserve strength to break above resistance at the old high.
Although they will not get you in as early they will usually get alert you of a potentially upcoming move higher. This screen should only be used when Monthly chart stochastics are in accumulation. I have found that under those restrictions these are excellent screens. Once the long term cycle turns to distribution they will not perform.

FIND STOCKS WHERE WEEKLY SLOW STOCHASTICS(5,3) FAST %K IS INCREASING AND CHART IS WEEKLY AND SLOW STOCHASTICS(5,3)FAST %K IS LESS THAN 50 AND CLOSE IS NEAR 20 DAY HIGH AND CLOSE IS BELOW 20 DAY HIGH AND SLOW STOCHASTICS(5,3) FAST %K IS INCREASING AND PRICE IS BETWEEN .5 AND 150 AND VOLUME(30) IS ABOVE 100,000 AND VOLUME IS ABOVE 100,000.

Substitute '20 day high' with ' 40 day high', '6 month high' or '1 year high'.

Other screens I use look for stochastic +xover with increases in volume.
With any screen though, attention needs to be paid to the state of accumulation and distribution on Monthly charts.

There are lots of good filter writers on this board that have studied the process more thoroughly and have a better knowlege about what can and can not be done.
JMHO

ramstar
6 posts
msg #31970
Ignore ramstar
5/3/2004 11:41:28 PM

EWZuber and MUDDY
Thanks a lot for your help. Muddy, I haven't searched yahoo site for your modified filter yet. I do hope to find it. I am like you, who likes to play with volatile stocks. When stocks like HRT and TASR start a free fall, do you get to benefit on the long side again after the the fall is over.
EWZuber, your posting was very insightful, I learnt a lot from your reply. Thanks again.
ramstar

wallman
299 posts
msg #31980
Ignore wallman
5/4/2004 10:34:00 PM

Ramstar, yes i love the volatile stocks also,this filter gives you those with big upside potential,of the 20 i posted today on my site 17 were up,many very big hits, SIMG 4%, EFJI 9, POSO 9, AIRN 4, PHMD 7, DHB 4, EPEX 12, VASC 6, MSSN 12, CGIH 8, UNWR 21, TBUS 20, STKR 23, this filter can be found at.... http://groups.yahoo.com/group/stockfetcher or a search of Darvas Box here on SF should turn it up,many of these after their rise will naturally fall right back into the filter again regarding your question about catching them again after their fall,many stocks hit new 52 week highs a dozen times or more during the course of a year ..hope this helps,Muddy

ramstar
6 posts
msg #32049
Ignore ramstar
5/12/2004 11:31:46 PM

Hey Muddy

Thanks again for your help. I was not in the market for a week or so, hence did not get a chance to get back with you. I did try to find your modified Darvas filter on SF, but could not find it---I haven't signed up at your yahoo group yet. Would it be possible to get your filter via email. My email is staramm@yahoo.com. Please keep in touch. Thanks

wallman
299 posts
msg #32082
Ignore wallman
5/13/2004 10:00:55 PM

Ramstar, the filter with an explanation can be found in msg# 2789 at the stockfetcher/muddy method group site .....in the last few months i've raised the RSI2 to below 30 from below 20 to give more hits when under 20 watches,the results are equal i've found ....on days like today with the market not so hot this filter often gives very nice results,10 up 4 down, with SKIL WITS DYAX EZPW LGF COPY being nice gainers on green hold

ramstar
6 posts
msg #32094
Ignore ramstar
5/14/2004 8:47:53 PM

Hi Muddy
Thanks for your quick response. I joined your Muddy Method group and found the filter you have shared with others. I looked at the stocks which you listed on your site(other than the box filter) for Friday, and was impressed with their free fall, i hope you shorted some of them to get huge gains. I will start using your filter with hopes of finding stocks like TASR. Will keep in touch.
ramstar

wallman
299 posts
msg #32101
Ignore wallman
5/16/2004 10:00:09 PM

Hi Ramstar,no i don't short,i can usually find a nice play or 2 out of the ones that do hold green on any given day,no matter how bad the market,that's why i have 20 stocks on my watch from both methods i use,i've used this same system over 3 and a half years now,if you find a system that suits you and stick to it you can get a really awesome feel for it and the stocks it brings up time after time rather then skipping around with a new system month after month,you mention the free fall of many on Fridays list,this is what i hope for on the ones that don't hold green,to go as deep red as they can for once they do hold green the pops many times are quick and nice,example SFP which i caught Friday for 19% in a lttle over 5 hours,on the filter Tues it dropped from 6.69 to close at 3.35,these are the kind i what for,....SPSC was the big dropper Friday on the filter losing over 12%,this stock i have right on top on my radar Monday.....remember in your search for the next TASR,these huge long term runners appear only once in a blue moon,if trading for a living it's a lot easier to just get a few % a day and move on,rather than wait and hold out for the very few TASR's that come along,in hindsight they look great but who's to say how many times along the way in the run one would had not gotten out on the pullbacks ..... good luck

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · filter for finding a stock trending up or down<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.