StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Can Stock Fetcher Check a Range of Dates for These Conditions?<< >>Post Follow-up
absorrel4
10 posts
msg #83186
Ignore absorrel4
11/17/2009 2:15:13 PM

I am tinkering with a momentum approach whereby stocks are bought on the FIRST pullback into oversold status once the stock begins a NEW TREND. The pullback is easy to define (use stochastics, or CCI, or other oscillator). However, trying to define when this occurs for the first time in a new trend is my problem. I am defining the start of a new trend by a change in the slope (from negative to postive) of the 50 day simple moving average of price. The problem is in relating the start of a new trend....which could be 5 days ago...8 days ago....?? days ago....to the first pullback in the stock to oversold status. Any ideas on how to 1) have Stockfetcher look into the past over a variable time period to find when the trend began and then 2) find the first pullback in the stock to oversold status after this trend began?

Any ideas/guidance is appreciated...thanks...

trendscanner
265 posts
msg #83188
Ignore trendscanner
11/17/2009 3:15:29 PM

There are different ways to define an uptrend. Here's one way, although this may not be the best for what you're trying to do.

Fetcher[
Aroon Oscillator(25) crossed above 0 within the last 10 days
Count(Aroon Oscillator(25) < 0, 10) < 0.5
ADX(14) > 25
Count(+DI(14) < -DI(14), 10) < 2
close > 1
]

Most of stocks this filter returns generally look like they're in an uptrend. Most of the settings on the filter are somewhat arbitrary so you could adjust them to suit your filter.

Another way to find or define an uptrend might be

Fetcher[
20 slope of MA(50) > 0
10 day slope of MA(50) > 0
close above MA(50)
]

Most of these look like they're in an uptrend too. I'm sure there are many other ways to find or define an uptrend. Maybe these will help get you started.

absorrel4
10 posts
msg #83196
Ignore absorrel4
11/17/2009 9:04:10 PM

Thanks...I'll give it a shot....

chetron
2,817 posts
msg #83201
Ignore chetron
modified
11/18/2009 6:48:53 AM

or maybe.....

Fetcher[
/* 1st the trend */

set{vuptrend,days(macd fast line crossed above -0,100)}

/* 2nd the osc pullback */
set{var1a,Stochastic %K(5,5,3) 1 day ago}
set{var1b,Stochastic %K(5,5,3) 2 day ago}
set{var1,count(var1a below Stochastic %K(5,5,3),1)}
set{var2,count(var1a below var1b,1)}
set{vpb,var1 * var2}

draw macd
vuptrend below 20
vpb above .5
Stochastic %K(5,5,3) below 50
close > 1

]

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Can Stock Fetcher Check a Range of Dates for These Conditions?<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.