StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · DMI and donchian coupled with breakout indicator<< >>Post Follow-up
LebowskiUrbanAchievers
56 posts
msg #94573
Ignore LebowskiUrbanAchievers
7/6/2010 9:53:30 AM

Chetron if you have time I was wondering if you could code something that looks for the following. This should identify stocks in a breakout. The charts should be daily. These are in my opinion strong indications for stocks starting to trend. I have made some returns by trend following as of late and I have been trying out indications such as DMI with ADX, PSARS, and donchian channels. I feel this works well in Forex and should be able to work with stocks. Stop losses and money management rules apply.

Sell possibilities
21 day breakout: The Close is below the 21 day Low
has crossed the lower donchian channel line 21 day period
DMI indicator shows -DI > +DI
ADX > 25
Stock price is > 5
Volume is >250000

Buys
21 day breakout: The Close is above the 21 day High
has crossed the upper donchian channel line 21 day period
DMI indicator shows +DI > -DI
ADX > 25
Stock price is > 5
Volume is >250000

johnpaulca
12,036 posts
msg #94575
Ignore johnpaulca
7/6/2010 10:14:18 AM

Chetron has left the building.

LebowskiUrbanAchievers
56 posts
msg #94578
7/6/2010 10:25:54 AM

Ok then anyone who can program please I appreciate any help.

ladder122
1 posts
msg #94865
Ignore ladder122
7/18/2010 2:07:15 AM

Lebowsk, can you futher explain your use of this strategy?

Thanks mark

wkloss
231 posts
msg #94885
Ignore wkloss
7/18/2010 12:37:19 PM

Lebowski,

The title of your post..."DMI and donchian coupled with breakout indicator" makes me wonder if you are duplicating a step and making your filter more complicated than it needs to be. Donchian is a breakout indicator, so why do you need to couple it with another breakout indicator?

Sorry I can't offer help with code but the previous post seems to be looking to do that.

Bill

Systrader
56 posts
msg #94930
Ignore Systrader
7/20/2010 10:34:05 AM

The close above and below 21 days high lows and Donchian channel for 21 day period says the same thing.

Based on what you asked , this is the filter, but it gives no results. Check the logic as it is not clear.

Try these:

BUYS

Fetcher[set {lolo, Day Postion(0,21)}
Show stocks where close < lolo and
close crossed below Donchian Lower Band(21,1) and
close > 5 and
average volume (21) > 250,000 and
ADX(21) > 25 and
draw +DI and
draw -DI and
add column +DI and
add column -DI and
]

SELLS

Fetcher[set {hihi, Day Postion(1,21)}
Show stocks where close > hihi and
close crossed above Donchian Upper Band(21,1) and
close > 5 and
average volume (21) > 250,000 and
ADX(21) > 25 and
draw +DI and
draw -DI and
add column +DI and
add column -DI
]

fortyfour
189 posts
msg #94937
Ignore fortyfour
7/20/2010 4:19:11 PM

Maybe something like this.....the sort looks for 1st time breakouts

Fetcher[close crossed above the upper Donchian Band(21,1)

set{x, count(close crossed above the upper Donchian Band(21,1) ,1)}
set{how_many, sum(x,21)}

add column how_many

+DI(21) > -DI(21)

avg vol(90) > 250000
close > 5

sort column 5 ascending
]

LebowskiUrbanAchievers
56 posts
msg #94976
7/22/2010 10:10:23 AM

Yea my strategy right now I have been using to play the EUR/USD spot. What I do is I have the Daily, Hourly and Weekly charts on my screen. On TOS I added the donchian channel study I found online. I also added ParabolicSAR to the charts as well as a confirmation of the trend. On the lower graphs I use volume and DMI to identify the trends.

When the price hits the upper or lower donchian channel on higher than average volume I get my indication to go long or short. This is confirmed usually by PSAR and DMI to enter my position. Look at the following screen shot.

As you will see I got a long indicator on 6/9/2010. The price was no touching the upper donchian so I did not go long. I did however get stopped out of my previous short position entered in March. Had I hopped on I would have been profitable but I wanted to wait to guage sentiment on the EURO. This strategy will work for any stock, commodity, or future. I just haven't figured out a way to screen for stock setups. I am hoping to continue trading currencies with this to build up account value. Hell I may only trade currencies, but I am interested in trying this with stocks. I am presenting this here to ge feedback and ideas on screen criteria. Let me know what you think, but I will be on vacation next week so it may take a while to get back to you.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

The screen shot shows my long trade where I got 400 PIPS at 2.00/pip. Small time trading as I am still testing my trend following nerves and strategy.

LebowskiUrbanAchievers
56 posts
msg #94978
modified
7/22/2010 10:13:36 AM

I modified your code

close crossed above the upper Donchian Band(21,1)

set{x, count(close crossed above the upper Donchian Band(21,1) ,1)}
set{how_many, sum(x,5)}

add column how_many

ADX > 20.5
+DI(21) > -DI(21)
how_many > 1
how_many < 5

avg vol(90) > 500000
close > 5

sort column 5 ascending

Gave 6 results I will put them in my TOS to see if indications are there.

What I want to do is find them as close to the DI+ and DI- Cross as possible. Maybe someone can add that in.

LebowskiUrbanAchievers
56 posts
msg #95316
8/2/2010 9:00:12 AM

bump

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · DMI and donchian coupled with breakout indicator<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.