StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Question: need help with initial backtest for trading based on charts<< >>Post Follow-up
nomadrx
8 posts
msg #114629
Ignore nomadrx
7/25/2013 9:01:21 PM

I just joined StockFetcher and really think that the filters and backtesting will be helpful to my trading.

I was hoping some of you could help me with how to create an initial entry and exit system that I currently do "by hand." Hopefully it's not too complicated.

Here is the first backtest that I am trying to create:

A sideways channel of at least a year of prices in a narrow range, followed by a breakout to the upside. The buy is the breakout. The sell signal is then a break below the increasing channel that is formed after the stock starts to breakout.

The problem is twofold... First, I'm not sure of how to identify a long channel breakout. I can identify a long channel, but what do you do to identify the breakout? Second, how to you identify a breakout below the positive sloping channel begins to form one the stock breaks out?

The strategy actually gets more complicated, but if I can at least get this far, it would be helpful and teach me how to create the framework for this backtest.

I'd be more than happy to share the backtest and the mods I make as I work my way through it.

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Question: need help with initial backtest for trading based on charts<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.