StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · another very good indicator to find stocks ready to make big moves<< >>Post Follow-up
MARY4MONEY
806 posts
msg #82687
Ignore MARY4MONEY
11/9/2009 12:13:47 PM

it s the slow version of the rubber band idea- but this is based on the hv-- you make the following indicator- to draw and put at the top of your ----of filter-- one of the biggest things big player use- is revision to the mean-- this gets you into safe trades with low volume and tr s before they make their big moves----SET{hv%,historical volatility(3)/historical volatility(50)} and add column hv%---where 1.0 is the 50 day moving average of the hv--what you are looking for are stocks that get down <0.50-the lower the better - so when the stock does move it will snap back to the 10 mean- you can do the same thing short also--ewbc was running <050 a couple weeks ago at 8.80- it snaped to 10.20- and back to 9$- to the 1.0 line again which was a buy--and then it went up 45% today

trendscanner
265 posts
msg #82719
Ignore trendscanner
11/9/2009 8:10:09 PM

M4m, that's a very interesting idea. I tried the basic filter using those settings and got over 2600 hits.

Fetcher[
SET{hv%,historical volatility(3)/historical volatility(50)}
hv% < 0.5
]

Adding some price volume selectors and an upward 8 period ema crossover to reduce the number of hits

Fetcher[
set{avg_hv, cema(hv%, 8)}
close > 1
average volume(30) > 70000
hv% < 0.5
avg_hv > hv% 1 day ago
avg_hv < hv%
add column hv%
sort by column 5 descending
]

Some interesting results, definitely worthy of further evaluation.

thanks for the tip!

medowz
59 posts
msg #82720
Ignore medowz
11/9/2009 8:41:41 PM

I'm just curious if Implied Volatility could be substituted into this filter? Is IV a usable filter element?

Mike

trendscanner
265 posts
msg #82748
Ignore trendscanner
11/10/2009 7:09:41 AM

I believe that IV only applies to options, not the underlying security.

Cacher
121 posts
msg #82750
Ignore Cacher
11/10/2009 10:53:57 AM

trendscanner ... your price and volume additions ... as we all agree they are so necessary... why not use a less restrictive..yet effectiv slant on that...

Fetcher[
set{dollartraded,price * volume}
and dollartraded is greater then 97000 /* ...or whatever value floats your boat */
]

trendscanner
265 posts
msg #82752
Ignore trendscanner
11/10/2009 11:17:29 AM

Cacher, there's no reason whatsoever for anyone to use my suggestions. An unlimited number of permutations of filters can be developed using M4M's HV idea. I think everyone on this site modifies posted filters to best meet their needs.

Cacher
121 posts
msg #82756
Ignore Cacher
modified
11/10/2009 12:54:14 PM

I like the interpretations and the coding ...and the refinements, I am just adding my two bits !

The modification to the simple volume price tweeks is subtle, but essential. My intent is to refine the volume and price that we all incorporate into our screens ... but ... by combining these into a 'dollar traded", would help to focus in on what would be considered a good "tradeable" selection....this helps to really see where the money is going. why eliminate a 50 cent stock merely on its price ...... if there is high volume behind it , then it could be a real money maker.... and it should not be disregarded... which is why I presented the "dollartraded" replacement to the seperate Price and volume screens ... I am just tweeking .... it is a subtle change ... IMHO one that really better refines the seas of equities. This should be used withinn any screen ... and is not the core of any screen... and is not a new relivation... just a different slant.

trendscanner
265 posts
msg #82804
Ignore trendscanner
11/10/2009 9:17:20 PM

Hi Cacher. I don't disagree at all with your premise. The only thing I might change with the price * volume selector would be to use a time-based volume average, such as average vol(30) or (45). The reason for that is that the volume for many sub $1 stocks seems to vary much more widely, in terms of low vol days to high vol days, than higher priced stocks. So I think you would return a more consistent set of tradable targets if you used an average volume rather than daily volume.

I agree there are some very tradable stocks below $1. One of the best buys I've made all year was to buy a fair amount of CKGT between $0.80 and $0.90 this summer. Still holding it.

Cheers and good luck trading.

mystiq
650 posts
msg #82813
Ignore mystiq
modified
11/11/2009 1:05:38 AM

Cacher
- Ignore Cacher 11/10/2009 10:53:57 AM
trendscanner ... your price and volume additions ... as we all agree they are so necessary... why not use a less restrictive..yet effectiv slant on that...
Fetcher[
set{dollartraded,price * volume}
and dollartraded is greater then 97000 /* ...or whatever value floats your boat */
]

trendscanner
- Ignore trendscanner 11/10/2009 11:17:29 AM
Cacher, there's no reason whatsoever for anyone to use my suggestions. An unlimited number of permutations of filters can be developed using M4M's HV idea. I think everyone on this site modifies posted filters to best meet their needs.
Cacher
- Ignore Cacher
modified 11/10/2009 12:54:14 PM
I like the interpretations and the coding ...and the refinements, I am just adding my two bits !
The modification to the simple volume price tweeks is subtle, but essential. My intent is to refine the volume and price that we all incorporate into our screens ... but ... by combining these into a 'dollar traded", would help to focus in on what would be considered a good "tradeable" selection....this helps to really see where the money is going. why eliminate a 50 cent stock merely on its price ...... if there is high volume behind it , then it could be a real money maker.... and it should not be disregarded... which is why I presented the "dollartraded" replacement to the seperate Price and volume screens ... I am just tweeking .... it is a subtle change ... IMHO one that really better refines the seas of equities. This should be used withinn any screen ... and is not the core of any screen... and is not a new relivation... just a different slant.
trendscanner
- Ignore trendscanner 11/10/2009 9:17:20 PM
Hi Cacher. I don't disagree at all with your premise. The only thing I might change with the price * volume selector would be to use a time-based volume average, such as average vol(30) or (45). The reason for that is that the volume for many sub $1 stocks seems to vary much more widely, in terms of low vol days to high vol days, than higher priced stocks. So I think you would return a more consistent set of tradable targets if you used an average volume rather than daily volume.

I agree there are some very tradable stocks below $1. One of the best buys I've made all year was to buy a fair amount of CKGT between $0.80 and $0.90 this summer. Still holding it.
Cheers and good luck trading.

Fetcher[
set{avg_hv, cema(hv%, 8)}
set{dollartraded,close * volume}
set{dollarflow,cema(dollartraded,30)}
set{trigger, slope of Linear regression(10) indicator}
draw macd(3,16,10) histogram on plot trigger line at 0
close < 1
draw obv(3)
add column dollartraded
add column hv%
add column avg_hv
add column dollarflow
dollarflow > 1000000
hv% < .30
sort by column 5 descending
/* or whatever value floats your boat */
]

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · another very good indicator to find stocks ready to make big moves<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.