StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · holygrail's "the worlds best intraday setup is" post, circa 6/22/2003<< >>Post Follow-up
nikoschopen
2,824 posts
msg #41721
Ignore nikoschopen
3/3/2006 4:26:26 PM

holygrail sez "1 minute intervals --using a 10 rsi linear regression-- volume- and a 150 (1 minute) ema-thats all you need to make killer moves- you can play the 10 rsi for incredible pos and neg diverges to pick off dead tops and bottom along with the linear regression the 150 ema is very powerful because every stock or index will will always come back to the 150 emna and every single explosion up or down off a consolidation comes right off the 150 ema line-lerogee777"

Can anyone translate this into plain english? Is anyone currently using this method?

alf44
2,025 posts
msg #41722
Ignore alf44
3/3/2006 4:56:41 PM

nikoschopen,

-> an EMA(150)

-> Linear Regression (of some period ? )

-> an RSI(10)

-> Volume

All on a 1 minute timeframe (ie... 1 min intra-day chart)

Watch for divergence(s) with the RSI(10) for picking TOPS and BOTTOMS and/or Consolidation around the EMA(150) !

Seems pretty straight forward to me ! fwiw

Regards,

alf44

PS. FWIW...I also use the EMA(150) on all timeframes and can attest to it's usefulness. I can't however speak to the above approach...as I've never traded it specifically.

nikoschopen
2,824 posts
msg #41726
Ignore nikoschopen
3/4/2006 2:15:37 AM

Alfie,

Hahaha, what can I possibly do without you? I'm afraid you'd need to spoon feed me from now on. What was implied but largely overlooked in my question was what makes those four indicators so powerful that "thats all you need to make killer moves"? I checked out a number of charts and the claim "every single explosion up or down off a consolidation comes right off the 150 ema line" didn't add up to what holygrail otherwise led us to believe. However, holygrail for who he is, along with Muddy, I'm intrigued about all the fuss surrounding their stature. Where the hell are they any way?

BTW it's hard to imagine the guy who touts his filter as THE holy grail of trading having so much difficulty expressing his own thoughts. I definitely can use a commentary or two from you Alf.

alf44
2,025 posts
msg #41733
Ignore alf44
3/4/2006 11:55:46 AM

"Can anyone translate this into plain english? Is anyone currently using this method?"

------------------------

That's what you asked ! That's what I tried to do ! That's it !

I WILL say that RSI divergence and pullbacks to a Moving Average (on whatever the timeframe) are not exactly revolutionary concepts ! Traders have been doing that for years...and successfully !!!

Not a big fan of the 1 minute timeframe though AND to call this particular approach "the worlds best intraday setup" does seem...well...a bit over the top ! fwiw

Regards,

alf44

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #41736
Ignore TheRumpledOne
3/4/2006 1:26:02 PM

HolyGrail is a "mad genius".

HG taught me rsi(2), linear regression and divergence. HG's not the best teacher... he writes like he talks... incomplete thoughts, he switches subjects, he rambles, etc...

However, there are nuggets of PURE GOLD in what HG says. I had to listen to him over and over, ask questions, try to make him stay on topic. And finally it all clicked for me.

I have taken what I learned from HolyGrail and applied it.

Now I know how to select stocks. Now I know how to trade stocks.

I owe a lot to HolyGrail... THANK YOU, HG!

One thing that most traders miss is what Darvas pointed out:

The FAILURE TO STICK TO ONE METHOD AND MASTER IT is what leads most traders to ruin.

If all you do is use RSI(2), Linear Regression and divergence, you can select and trade stocks successfully. But what happens is you'll see some stock that wasn't selected by your filter take off without you and you wish you were in it. So you abandon the method and become a "chaser". Meanwhile, the stocks that you would have been trading start popping without you and now you're even more frustrated cause you missed those too!

You must CALM DOWN. You must realize you are NOT going to catch every stock that rockets. Your trading plan/goal should be to MAKE MONEY CONSISTENTLY. If you stick with one method, you will catch a few that pop.

I caught the XSNX pop this week because I was IN THE STOCK from the week before letting my FREE SHARES do the work for me.

So, if you want to use the HolyGrail's method, then go ahead, use it, but STICK WITH IT, and you can be successful.

MAY ALL YOUR FILLS BE COMPLETE.

nikoschopen
2,824 posts
msg #41746
Ignore nikoschopen
3/4/2006 4:23:12 PM

ALF & TRO,

Thx for the response. Isn't HG with SF anymore? Where has he vanished?

kanuk
32 posts
msg #41763
Ignore kanuk
modified
3/5/2006 4:48:06 PM

TRO:
After more than a year of chasing the 'most' popular filters I became very turned off. Your comment re sticking to one method and mastering it has finally given me some direction. Every week, it seems, there's another 'must have' or 'must use' filter. As a result I plan to go with RSI(2), linerar regression and divergence - some will argue that I'm totally wrong but it's MY decision. My only problem now is how to incorporate divergence into RSI(2), linear regression. Are there any examples of this? I know that you've spoken of this before but I can't seem to find the thread.
Many thanks and keep up the good work
Kanuk

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #41771
Ignore TheRumpledOne
modified
3/5/2006 11:27:48 PM

Search for divergence.

I believe you'll find what you're looking for in this thread:

"Slope feature to spot divergences"

kanuk
32 posts
msg #41793
Ignore kanuk
3/6/2006 7:53:25 PM

TRO:
Found it

many thanks, again
kanuk

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · holygrail's "the worlds best intraday setup is" post, circa 6/22/2003<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.