StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Aging.<< >>Post Follow-up
johnpaulca
12,036 posts
msg #86034
Ignore johnpaulca
1/12/2010 1:47:01 PM

I would never trade my amazing friends, my wonderful life, my loving family for less gray hair or a flatter belly. As I've aged, I've become kinder to myself, and less critical of myself. I've become my own friend. I don't chide myself for eating that extra cookie, or for not making my bed, or for buying that silly cement gecko that I didn't need, but looks so avante garde on my patio. I am entitled to a treat, to be messy, to be extravagant.

I have seen too many dear friends leave this world too soon; before they understood the great freedom that comes with aging.

Whose business is it if I choose to read or play on the computer until 4 AM and sleep until noon?
I will dance with myself to those wonderful tunes of the 60 &70's, and if I, at the same time, wish to weep over a lost love ... I will.

I will walk the beach in a swim suit that is stretched over a bulging body, and will dive into the waves with abandon if I choose to, despite the pitying glances from the jet set.

They, too, will get old.
I know I am sometimes forgetful. But there again, some of life is just as well forgotten. And I eventually remember the important things.

Sure, over the years my heart has been broken. How can your heart not break when you lose a loved one, or when a child suffers, or even when somebody's beloved pet gets hit by a car? But broken hearts are what give us strength and understanding and compassion. A heart never broken is pristine and sterile and will never know the joy of being imperfect.

I am so blessed to have lived long enough to have my hair turning gray, and to have my youthful laughs be forever etched into deep grooves on my face. So many have never laughed, and so many have died before their hair could turn silver.

As you get older, it is easier to be positive. You care less about what other people think. I don't question myself anymore.
I've even earned the right to be wrong.

So, to answer your question, I like being old. It has set me free. I like the person I have become.
I am not going to live forever, but while I am still here, I will not waste time lamenting what could have been, or worrying about what will be. And I shall eat dessert every single day(if I feel like it).

heypa
283 posts
msg #86074
Ignore heypa
1/12/2010 8:14:04 PM

As long as you don't exceed your physical limits it's better than the alternative. I spent about 5 hours yesterday chain sawing on a downed tree, carried the rounds about 100 yards down hill and stacked it.Side hill was too steep and rough for a wheel barrow. Had many short stops to recover normal breathing and heart rates. Wife says hire it done. I say when I stop I'll die.The work keeps me going.. I'm 84.

johnpaulca
12,036 posts
msg #86081
Ignore johnpaulca
1/12/2010 8:56:07 PM

heypa: you are an inspiration for us younger cubs.

heypa
283 posts
msg #86152
Ignore heypa
1/13/2010 12:36:02 PM

I don't want to mislead anyone.I can't do this every day, A couple of recovery days should suffice. I did misspeak. I won't be 84 for another week.

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #86154
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
1/13/2010 12:55:58 PM

well sure, any 83 year old can do what you're doing ....

Honestly, very impressive. You're staying young rather than getting old - congrats!

moby
314 posts
msg #86158
Ignore moby
modified
1/13/2010 1:22:20 PM

Happy Birthday heypa !!!!!!!!!!! All the best for you. :)

I can hardly wait to retire.

crunkle
54 posts
msg #86194
Ignore crunkle
1/13/2010 8:43:16 PM

Young bull says to old bull - "hey, let's run up the hill and make love to one of them cows!"

Old bull to young bull - "son, let's walk up that hill and make love to all of 'em"

tmanbone
124 posts
msg #86195
Ignore tmanbone
1/13/2010 8:45:08 PM

Happy Birthday heypa! Hang in there. Awesome!

heypa
283 posts
msg #86204
Ignore heypa
1/14/2010 12:15:11 AM

Thank you all. I appreciate your kind thoughts.

johnpaulca
12,036 posts
msg #87329
Ignore johnpaulca
1/28/2010 2:48:58 PM

Observations on Growing Older

~Your kids are becoming you...and you don't like them

...but your grandchildren are perfect!

~Going out is good.

Coming home is better!

~When people say you look "Great"...

they add "for your age!"

~When you needed the discount, you paid full price.

Now you get discounts on everything...

movies, hotels, flights, but you're too tired to use them.

~You forget names ... but it's OK

because other people forgot

They even knew you!!!

~The 5 pounds you wanted to lose

is now 15 and you have a better chance

of losing your keys than the 15 pounds.

~You realize you're never going

to be really good at anything .... especially golf.

~Your spouse is counting on you

to remember things you don't remember.

~The things you used to care to do,

you no longer care to do,

but you really do care that you

don't care to do them anymore.

~Your husband sleeps better on a lounge chair

with the TV blaring than he does in bed.

It's called his "pre-sleep".

~Remember when your mother said,

"Wear clean underwear in case you GET in an accident"?

Now you bring clean underwear in case you HAVE an accident!

~You used to say,

"I hope my kids GET married...

Now, "I hope they STAY married!"

~You miss the days when everything worked

with just an "ON" and "OFF" switch..

~When GOOGLE, ipod, email, modem ...

were unheard of, and a mouse was something

that made you climb on a table.

~You used to use more 4 letter words ...

"what?"..."when?"... ???

~Now that you can afford

expensive jewelry, it's not safe to wear it anywhere.

~Your husband has a night out with the guys,

but he's home by 9:00 P.M. Next week it will be 8:30 P.M.

~You read 100 pages into a book before you realize you've read it.

~Notice everything they sell in stores is "sleeveless"?!!!

~What used to be freckles are now liver spots.

~Everybody whispers.

~Now that your husband has retired ...

you'd give anything if he'd find a job!

~You have 3 sizes of clothes in your closet ...

2 of which you will never wear.

~~~~But old is good in some things:

old songs,

old movies,

And best of all, OLD FRIENDS!!

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Aging.<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.