StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Compare To<< >>Post Follow-up
maxreturn
745 posts
msg #42596
Ignore maxreturn
modified
3/28/2006 12:42:51 PM

I like to chart the performance of a stock vs an index by using this feature. Has anyone been able to figure out how to refer to the value returned by this plot? For example, I want to write a filter where the value returned by the "Compare To" plot is greater than 0. Thanks!

nikoschopen
2,824 posts
msg #42600
Ignore nikoschopen
3/28/2006 3:48:38 PM

Comparative Relative Strength
(Info: http://www.stockfetcher.com/stockdb/fetcher?p=forum&sub=view&fid=1006&tid=33617)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Parameters Comparative Symbol
Period

Usage relative strength(^IXIC,45)

Description The comparative relative strength computes the ratio of the change in price between two stocks. Often this measure is used to compare an input stock with the change in price of an index. On StockFetcher, you can use the comparative relative strength to find stocks that are outperforming or underperforming an index or any other given stock.

Examples
Fetcher[show stocks where the relative strength(^IXIC,45) is above 1.25]

The example above will look for stocks whose price has outperformed the Nasdaq by 25% over the last 45 days. Two parameters are required for this measure. The first is the stock or index symbol that you will compare against. The second parameter is the timeframe for the comparison. Below is another example showing stocks that just started to outperform IBM.
Fetcher[show stocks where the relative strength(IBM,60) crossed above 1.0]

maxreturn
745 posts
msg #42605
Ignore maxreturn
3/28/2006 5:02:28 PM

Thanks for the response Niko but what I requested is a little different. For example, I found out from support that when using the phrase "compare to ^spx" two plots are returned. One represents the % change in closing price from day one on the chart to the last bar on the chart for the stock/security. The other plot represents the same for the spx.

nikoschopen
2,824 posts
msg #42607
Ignore nikoschopen
3/28/2006 6:53:22 PM

Fetcher[
set{diff,close / ind(^IXIC,close)}
and compare with ^IXIC
]

maxreturn
745 posts
msg #42610
Ignore maxreturn
3/28/2006 7:11:45 PM

Thanks Niko.

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #42611
Ignore TheRumpledOne
3/28/2006 7:39:47 PM

Fetcher[

and compare with ^IXIC

add column diff
add column ind(^IXIC,close)

sort column 5 descending
]

Not sure I understand what diff is?!?!

What does this line:

and compare with ^IXIC

do?

sdcclark
26 posts
msg #42615
Ignore sdcclark
3/28/2006 8:38:57 PM

As I see you are Running these agaionst the Nasdaq, What is the Index symbol for the S&P500

nikoschopen
2,824 posts
msg #42617
Ignore nikoschopen
modified
3/29/2006 4:55:16 AM

Indexes:
^DJI = Dow Jones Industrials
^DJU = Dow Jones Utility
^DJT = Dow Jones Transport
^IXIC = Nasdaq
^SPX = S&P 500

nikoschopen
2,824 posts
msg #42623
Ignore nikoschopen
modified
3/29/2006 5:00:51 AM

Q: Not sure I understand what diff is?!?!

A: Sorry, I forgot to add the next line:
"diff reached a 4 week high"

Q: What does this line "and compare with ^IXIC" do?

A: Basically, it allows you to compare a given stock's performance against another stock or an index. If you bring up the chart for any one of the fetched stocks, you will notice that the stock and the Nasdaq index are both drawn on the same plot.

Try this one for a comparison against all three major averages:
Fetcher[
diff reached a 4 week high
and compare with ^DJI
and compare with ^IXIC
and compare with ^SPX
]

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #42625
Ignore TheRumpledOne
3/29/2006 9:28:18 AM

So "and compare" is for charting...

Thanks

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Compare To<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.