StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Earnings reports after the bell today and before the open tomorrow<< >>Post Follow-up
Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #81776
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
10/26/2009 4:16:22 PM

3:47PM

Earnings Calendar :

Today after the close, of the many companies scheduled to report, some of the bigger names include: BIDU, CF, DRYS, HMA, MAS, PCL, and PCH. Tomorrow before the open, of the many companies scheduled to report, some of the bigger names include: AKS, BEAV, BYD, BP, CPLA, ELNK, BEN, AMTD, X, UA, VLO, and WYNN.

Anybody got any plays on these ahead of their reports?

Or plans after the reports are in?

johnpaulca
12,036 posts
msg #81777
Ignore johnpaulca
10/26/2009 4:35:12 PM

DRYS...I sold before close, they had good numbers and now running in AH.

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #81780
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
modified
10/26/2009 5:47:00 PM

I bought 20 contracts for the Nov $500 call on BIDU (BPJKK) at $3.90 just after the close Friday. Today, before the earnings are announced, it closed at $4.20. I expect that it will jump tomorrow morning (or crash, either is possible until one happens).

Will look at UA - they have consistently beaten estimates, and the day after the announcement their stock averages ~+3.6%.

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #81781
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
10/26/2009 6:05:24 PM

Well, this is why I am paper trading options - BIDU announces that it beats estimates, but revenues are off from last year. Stock drops 12.5% in after hours. Kiss that money good bye ....

johnpaulca
12,036 posts
msg #81786
Ignore johnpaulca
10/26/2009 7:05:29 PM

That's why I sold DRYS ya just never know how the market will react to the earnings.

Eman93
4,750 posts
msg #81789
Ignore Eman93
10/26/2009 7:50:04 PM

johnpaulca
- Ignore johnpaulca 10/26/2009 7:05:29 PM

That's why I sold DRYS ya just never know how the market will react to the earnings.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The market wants Rev growth... earnings is not gonna cut it.....also market wants a good forward outlook.
Not many companys gonna make the grade in this environment.

Kevin can you trade options in your account?

Eman93
4,750 posts
msg #81790
Ignore Eman93
modified
10/26/2009 7:57:15 PM

So the question is what companys will grow or are growing even if they miss on earnings the stock will go up.

??????? lets pick some winners

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #81791
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
10/26/2009 7:57:20 PM

Nope. That's why I'm paper trading at the moment. Plenty to learn.

In retrospect, I should have paper traded stocks for a year before putting any capital at risk - live and learn.

medowz
59 posts
msg #81792
Ignore medowz
10/26/2009 8:22:44 PM

Kevin,

I was looking at the BIDU 440 straddle using the TOS Thinkback function. Your return on the straight call play was decent for two days. You got the direction right which is critical with straight calls. The implied volatility on BIDU is huge, too. The straddle play would have been about half as profitable on a 2 contract position. The premium on the straddle position would have been slightly more out of pocket though. FWIW.

Good trade.

Eman93
4,750 posts
msg #81799
Ignore Eman93
10/26/2009 10:05:50 PM

Kevin_in_GA
- Ignore Kevin_in_GA 10/26/2009 7:57:20 PM

Nope. That's why I'm paper trading at the moment. Plenty to learn.

In retrospect, I should have paper traded stocks for a year before putting any capital at risk - live and learn.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Paper trading is not the same at all IMHO ........ there is no pressure...no real dollars.... you act diffrently when real cash is at stake. I think the real key is to treat the real money like its paper and just dont care at all...... I wish I could get to that place.

I would have loved to have kept RIMM today I was in at 65.05 it dosent get much better...we are right on the trend line due for a bounce........ I sold right at the close and took 0.65 of profit.....if it was paper I would have let it ride...

I got some good advice from TRO make small bets at first...

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Earnings reports after the bell today and before the open tomorrow<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.