StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Good Entry Criteria, or Managing the Trade: What's the secret?<< >>Post Follow-up
dknoonan
27 posts
msg #112552
Ignore dknoonan
3/31/2013 10:03:53 PM

Folks, can you really win at this? I've done backtesting on about 15 filter ideas, and have yet to show a profit. I'm wondering if finding a wonderful entry criterion is just not possible. Maybe one just finds a mediocre entry criterion, and then does a superior job managing the trade?

Anyway, for backtesting, here are my parameters...

Timeframe Jan 25 2011 thru Jan 25 2013
Take Profit 2%
Stop Loss 2%
Min days held 1
Conditional entry at Open * 1.005

and here are my "best" performers!!

G/L is -7.3 % for: while candle for two days, both candles no bigger than 1% of the price. ma(10) approaching ma(30) from below in last 2 days

G/L is -.8 % for: white candle for two days, price 5% below ma(200), trading in channel for 20 days, RSI below 50

Do you get better backtesting results than this? Do you have superior filters, or better backtesting parameters? Or, do you get the same mediocre backtesting numbers that I do, but with real money, you just manage your trades a whole lot more clever that 2% take profit, 2% stop loss?

Mactheriverrat
3,132 posts
msg #112555
Ignore Mactheriverrat
4/1/2013 7:14:00 AM

price reached a new 52 week high

sort column 6 descending

novacane32000
331 posts
msg #112558
Ignore novacane32000
4/1/2013 11:20:24 AM

The problem I have found with such a tight stop loss (2%) is that your winning % will be very low leading to an unacceptable string of consecutive losses.

Your test period of 2 years also makes it more difficult to find a winning filter. Only the very best filters will work across varied market conditions.

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Good Entry Criteria, or Managing the Trade: What's the secret?<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.