StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · How do you balance family and day-trading from home?<< >>Post Follow-up
guru_trader
485 posts
msg #43139
Ignore guru_trader
4/23/2006 2:41:36 AM

For those of us who day-trade from home,
I'd like to know, from those who are married (or, were married) ... how you manage to keep your spouse and your day-trading happy in the same home? Since you are at home, it's easy for your spouse to ask you to run "quick-little" errands and such that could easily interfere with your trading. What rules and systems have you established to help you keep a happy home?

WALLSTREETGENIUS
983 posts
msg #43144
Ignore WALLSTREETGENIUS
modified
4/23/2006 5:01:45 AM

Guru -

You can't Manage it! It's not possible. When you're trading, you can't do little runs to the store. You can't go to little Billy's baseball practice. Nor can you go to Sara's dance residles.

Your wife will hate you because you lost the money on a "penney stock" you refinanced the house with. But she will occasionally have intercourse with you on your office chair. Friends will stop coming over until you promise them you will shower. Both little Billy & Sara stop asking you to do things with them because of broken promises. But you'll have no problem cashing in their college funds(CD'S)after you lose your second online account.

When you do finally leave the house at 1:00 AM for your weekly carton of smokes, you turn on the radio and start to cry after hearing "Cats n the cradle." After wiping your eyes, you enter the store and pray no one stands behind in line because your AZZ smells like you just wiped it with a 10 day old dead Rat.

It's only then you finally deside to go back to work! Hey "Guru," don't even think about it! Keep your day job and leave the online Daytrading to the thousands of single and future homeless fathers. I interviewed a guy recently that didn't even have a drivers license because the state he lived in yanked it from him for not paying his child support. Dude, I've heard ALL the stories.....DON'T DO IT!!! I pray you!

- RIGGS -

stocktrader
294 posts
msg #43152
Ignore stocktrader
4/23/2006 12:57:34 PM

guru_trader 4/23/2006 2:41:36 AM

For those of us who day-trade from home,
I'd like to know, from those who are married (or, were married) ... how you manage to keep your spouse and your day-trading happy in the same home? Since you are at home, it's easy for your spouse to ask you to run "quick-little" errands and such that could easily interfere with your trading. What rules and systems have you established to help you keep a happy home?

----------------

I solved that problem by flying to China 6 years ago and marrying a decent wife. My experience with American cultured types (not all) are that you'll never be left alone to make money, and then they'll want to take all that you do make.
There is no making them happy.

Turn on the Ignore feature :)

I can presently monitor/trade my stocks from my cell phone. My next cell phone will have greater ability in this area. This will give you some peace of mind while out.

Do the best you can to manage it. Set stops or close the position if you have to go out. Maybe a good part of it is mental. Good luck.

glm47
51 posts
msg #43154
Ignore glm47
4/23/2006 1:51:11 PM

If trading is your main source of income, ie your job, then you need to treat it as such and tell your spouse that you business hours are the market hours. There is not a whole lot of reasons that she can justify making you run an errand that can't wait until your work day is over...

If you have the means, turn one of your rooms into an office if you have not already and close yourself in it during business hours.

The favors go both ways though, don't be coming out and asking her for small favors either like a sandwich or a cup of tea etc. Do it yourself.

Just make sure that when your business day is over, you act as though it is by giving your other family members the attention they need from you. Run those errands and spend time with them doing things they want to do, not talking about how much money you made or lost...lol

stocktrader
294 posts
msg #43155
Ignore stocktrader
modified
4/23/2006 2:11:56 PM

Another thing reqarding errands........

Many times the errands are really not immediately important.

Communication with the spouse as to the urgency of the errand can be key.

My occasional errand requests that I receive, after asking a few questions, are ones that can be done later. Errands can also be "grouped". Instead of going out many times, go out one time. If my wife wants something, sometimes I'll even tell her that tomorrow is the day I'll do it. Communication and negotiation can really help, providing the other party is reasonable to deal with.

The thing I can not negotiate with my wife, is crab and shrimp. An asian addiction that I can not break! :)

guru_trader
485 posts
msg #43180
Ignore guru_trader
4/24/2006 2:49:02 PM

Riggs,
Don't get married, or, don't day-trade?! :D

No, I'm not planning on day-trading myself into the ground, thank you for your concerns. I'm only interested in finding out how others do it.

EWZuber
1,373 posts
msg #43182
Ignore EWZuber
4/24/2006 9:16:15 PM

Some daytraders only trade for four hours a day. The first and last two hours of the session when there is the greatest volitility and liquidity.

stocktrader
294 posts
msg #43225
Ignore stocktrader
4/26/2006 11:31:09 PM

I trade the first two hours and then monitor the market on and off through the day. This way irritates me sometimes, as some stocks take off later and I miss them.......oh well, there are many stocks to play.

Agree, the middle 2 hours are pretty slow....

Since I'm in California, 8:30am and I'm done for the day, for the most part.
I'm thinking about retiring to Hawaii. That would be a 4:30am to 6:30am trading shift.....I could go back to bed afterwards :)

I wonder if anyone on SF is trading from Hawaii?

EWZuber
1,373 posts
msg #43229
Ignore EWZuber
4/27/2006 4:07:20 AM

I'm trading from Alaska and it's a pain getting up at 5:00 AM every morning. Even if you go back to bed you end up with interrupted sleep which is not good healthwise. Other option is to get to sleep by 9:30 PM every nite.

stocktrader
294 posts
msg #43230
Ignore stocktrader
4/27/2006 8:37:56 AM

That would be a headache trading at 5:30. I thought 6:30 was bad :)

I get up a 5am just to plan and get ready for the market open. By 9pm to 10pm I crash.

If I were in Hawaii I'd be getting up at 3am....LOL
Alaska 4am

Trading is pretty hard work.....

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · How do you balance family and day-trading from home?<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.