StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Breakout Trading Filter - GREAT RESULTS!<< 1 2 3 4 5 >>Post Follow-up
nibor100
1,010 posts
msg #132948
Ignore nibor100
12/1/2016 5:46:16 AM

Hey Wilson,

I mistakenly was looking at the number from the 80 day close line instead of the 80 MA line in my last post on chart CISG.

So how about looking at the ELOS chart at day 2/1/16, mine shows 200 ema at 8.66, 200 ma at 9.22, for avg of 8.94, with 80 ma at 7.48 putting the avg about 19.5% above the 80 day ma.

I'm relatively new to Stockfetcher so thanks for the chart mov avg Settings tip, should make my future filters shorter.

Sorry about the earlier confusion ,
Ed S.

risjr
229 posts
msg #133031
Ignore risjr
12/3/2016 6:43:52 PM

I noticed this filter needs the expanded Stockfetcher option. Is this option better?, or worth it?

Thanks in advance

nibor100
1,010 posts
msg #133036
Ignore nibor100
12/3/2016 8:50:23 PM

its worth it to me but it is probably a matter of personal preference.
Here is some of what SF states about the advanced filter support:

"At the standard subscription level, StockFetcher filters can certainly take advantage of custom variables; however, if your filter exceeds the complexity level required for an "advanced" filter, you will see a message indicating that the filter could not complete.

For nearly all filters, Advanced Filter Support is not required. Additionally, if you do experience this issue as a basic subscriber, typically there are work-arounds. If you are unable to find a work-around, you can upgrade your subscription at anytime to support the advanced filters."

a workaround that might work for Wilson's Breakout filter could be as follows:

create a watchlist called WilsonFirstHalf with no symbols in it.
Then run his filter, then edit it and remove everything below "show stocks where V5a equals 240" and save what is left as 'Wilson 1st half'
run that filter on the date you are interested in and when the results show up, switch to table, and check the box labeled symbol, which should then check all of the symbols returned by the filter and ciick on the popup at the bottom of the screen to add checked to watchlist, if there is more than 1 page of results you'll have to repeat the check and add to watchlist steps.

Then create a new filter called Wilson 2nd Half and paste in everything that your removed from the original wilson breakout filter, you'll also have to copy over the 2 lines containing set{xmsum....and set{xema..... paste them in at the top and above them add the line "apply to filter(WisonFirstHalf) as the very first line, save it and run it on the same date as before and I believe you should have a workaround that is not too complex.

Hope this helps,
Ed S.

nibor100
1,010 posts
msg #133042
Ignore nibor100
12/4/2016 10:42:41 AM

Hey Wilson,

I got the impression from your earlier posts that once your breakout filter selects a bunch of stocks you then review the charts for candidates over a 1-3 day period. Looking at the chart of CZWI shown below from Sep 30th. would you have chosen it or not and why?

Thanks,
Ed S.

wilson
15 posts
msg #133105
Ignore wilson
12/7/2016 1:04:43 PM

Hi all

In regards to being able to create and use advanced filters with SF is It is my humble opinion very worth it. I believe that is is $16 a month instead of $8. You can decide for yourself if you think it is worth it or not.

In regards to the discrepancy about the filter working with the number of days back on the filter, I have contacted tech support to figure that out. And they have confirmed that it is indeed only calculating 160 days back on not 240. Ed, you are correct.

The filter should say:

Fetcher[

and Close is between .25 and 12.0
and Close reached a new 80 day high

and close above open

show stocks where count(high equals low, 60) < 15

set{xmsum, ema(200) + ma(200)}
set{xema_avg, xmsum / 2}

set{matop5, max(MA(400), xema_avg)}
set{mabot5, min(MA(400), xema_avg)}
set{v1a, count(matop5 less than 25 percent above mabot5, 80)}
set{v2a, count(matop5 80 days ago less than 25 percent above mabot5 80 days ago, 80)}
set{v3a, count(matop5 160 days ago less than 25 percent above mabot5 160 days ago, 80)}
set{v4a, v1a + v2a}
set{v5a, v3a + v4a}
show stocks where v5a equals 240

set{matop6, max(MA(80), xema_avg)}
set{mabot6, min(MA(80), xema_avg)}
set{v1b, count(matop6 less than 15 percent above mabot6, 80)}
set{v2b, count(matop6 80 days ago less than 15 percent above mabot6 80 days ago, 80)}
set{v3b, count(matop6 160 days ago less than 15 percent above mabot6 160 days ago, 80)}
set{v4b, v1b + v2b}
set{v5b, v3b + v4b}
show stocks where v5b equals 240

]

I have changed the 3rd variable in the 4th line of the MA "sets" to 160, instead of 80. Thank you for pointing this out and helping to get it resolved.

In regards to whether this will be a better filter (240 days back instead of 160) which is what I had been testing, I will have to try it and backtest it. In any case, the 160 days back works great.

In regards to entries into these stocks, it is very important to follow the results and look back at them, at all points in time (days back). You want to look for high volume and/or a candle that is large and white. I cannot express how important the candlesticks are to all of this. I do not look at any other type of charts. Entries can be made the day the stock is pulled up or at any future point in time when you see a
"good" entry point.

I will test the different time periods out. Please feel free to continue the conversation. This is a VERY powerful yet simple filter that consistently pulls up BIG winners. I am more than happy to consider any changes or additions to it to make it better. 3 brains are better than one. ;) This is why I decided to share this filter.

Best to all of you

wilson
15 posts
msg #133109
Ignore wilson
12/7/2016 1:53:50 PM

Ed,

I would not have ever chosen CZWI at any point in time. The volume is way to low, the trading is way to thin, and the Moving Averages are too far spread apart. Hope that helps.

nibor100
1,010 posts
msg #133658
Ignore nibor100
1/10/2017 12:58:04 PM

@wilson,

I finally ran a backtest, in Edgerater Pro, of your Breakout filter (the 160 day version) for the period of 12/31/15 to 11/28/16, guessing that was the period of your earlier posted results.

Since you have been fairly vague about entry and exit criteria I used the following:

Enter at the Open, the day after a stock was returned by your Breakout filter
Exit at the Open, the day after a stock had been held 10 days.
Allow duplicates. meaning if a stock showed up in your filter results day after day, start a trade for that stock each day it shows up, exiting each trade separately according to the 10 day hold criteria,

The result was 53.4% winners with a small net profit.

If you can provide more info related to your trade results for 2016, I can refine my backtest to be more in line with how you traded it. Such as, how many positions at a time were usually held, any info about lenth of holding periods, stop criteria, etc.

I note that in your earlier post you state that your trades usually took place 1 to 3 days, Do you have any idea what % of them occurred in 1 day?

Thanks,
Ed S.

miketranz
956 posts
msg #133672
Ignore miketranz
1/10/2017 8:28:04 PM

Try this:SHOW STOCKS WHERE THE CLOSE REACHED A NEW 52 WEEK HIGH WITHIN THE LAST 10 DAYS AND PRICE IS BETWEEN .25 AND 25 AND AVERAGE VOLUME (90) IS GREATER THAN 100000 AND VOLUME IS GREATER THAN 100000 AND STOCK PRICE IS 100 % GREATER THAN 52 WEEK LOW AND WHERE CLOSING PRICE GAINED MORE THAN 26% IN THE LAST 26 WEEKS AND RSI (2) IS BELOW 20 Best of luck,Miketranz...

nibor100
1,010 posts
msg #133685
Ignore nibor100
1/11/2017 2:30:14 PM

@miketranz,

currently am not interested in trying a non-clickable, shouted, filter in run-on paragraph form, that doesn't have any supporting reason(s) or history as to why any of us should want to 'try' it.

Perhaps after you've tried it yourself, you can post a clickable version of it for the Stockfetcher users, if it turns out to have any recurring merit.

Thanks,
Ed S.

miketranz
956 posts
msg #133689
Ignore miketranz
1/11/2017 7:38:46 PM

Ed,go ask Nicolas Darvas,he's the one who came up with it,if you ever heard of him.Maybe he'll help you out with a clickable.In the meantime,son I've been trading before you were born.Why don't you get yourself some manners.Miketranz...

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Breakout Trading Filter - GREAT RESULTS!<< 1 2 3 4 5 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.