StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · PORTFOLIO SELECTION AND MANAGEMENT USING RISK/REWARD RATIOS<< 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 65 >>Post Follow-up
Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #93627
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
6/8/2010 9:45:04 AM

Kevin - I agree with many who say thanks for your work. I appreciate the clarity of your posts.

I would love to use a similar strategy with my 401K; however, we are limited to mutual funds investments.which are not supported by StockFetcher.

Short of manually calculating, do you know of another website that would allow me to determine the relative strength of mutual funds?
+++++++++++++

You cn do this manually if you know the ticker - just go to finance.yahoo.com and download the daily or weekly data. Look at the percent change for each mutual fund over the past thirteen weeks (or 63 days for the daily data), and invest in the one that has had the greatest return (it will be the one that has the strongest RS relative to any other).

Alternatively, I am using the SHY, EEM, IWM, and SPY as proxies for the investments those mutual funds usually make (focused on international/emerging markets, smallcaps, largecaps, or cash/bonds). That is why I have such a short list of ETFs - each represents a different type of "mutual fund" available to me through my 401k.

cwn6161
40 posts
msg #93693
Ignore cwn6161
modified
6/10/2010 2:11:32 PM

Kevin, did you end up staying in IWM so far? I made a mistake and used an older filter at the end of the month to calculate the rankings, and it told me to switch in SHY. Kinda glad I did now, but I wonder if I should correct it and switch IWM since that's what the RS filter suggested.

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #93710
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
6/11/2010 8:33:12 AM

I have stayed in IWM - been a bit of a rough ride over the past few weeks. The SHY RS63 has moved above IWM as of the beginning of this month, but the month is young. This may play out like last July - the first ten days or so were rough, then a big move up.

Or it could go down.

Or it could chop ...

Whatever happens, I am sticking with this system for managing one of my accounts, I have a second similar sized account being professionally managed, and I have my trading account which has been all cash from mid-April (thankfully). I'll most likely be using Connors ETF trading strategies on the last account, and see at the end of the year which of the three approached works best.

bka58
49 posts
msg #94229
Ignore bka58
6/23/2010 6:51:05 PM

I love the work you have done here. I was wondering about a small tweak. I’m sure we each need to modify the symbol list to correspond to the choices in your particular 401K
Is there a way to add a comment column that allows you to provide a name that is meaningful to your 401K? For instance, the comment column might contain ‘Fixed Income’ for SHY and IEI and ‘Large Cap Value’ for VTV.

Just a little something to make the relationship quicker to identify.

Thanks for your efforts and sharing.

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #94318
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
6/26/2010 12:26:08 PM

Is there a way to add a comment column that allows you to provide a name that is meaningful to your 401K? For instance, the comment column might contain ‘Fixed Income’ for SHY and IEI and ‘Large Cap Value’ for VTV.
+++++++

Not to my knowledge. However, this might be doable in the new watchlist format. I am beta testing it - just begun so there is plenty I don't know yet, but I like the fact that you can basically write filters and have them as column outputs in your watchlists. There may be a way to add notes - if not I will request that it be considered as a feature add.

gmoney
8 posts
msg #94369
Ignore gmoney
modified
6/27/2010 5:58:24 PM

Kevin - Great filter. I am very impressed with the awesome backtest results.

Question 1: I am wondering if the ETF Replay website has the capability to test a modification of your filter performance? I am learning it now, but I don't see how to instruct it to do what I am posing below:

Scenario - Follow your filter's signals per your once-per-month trading rules, except when the filter signals that you go to same as cash (i.e., SHY is at the top of the sort).
Whenever the filter signals you to go to SHY, instead select and invest for that month in the 100% inverse (short) ETF that aligns with the last/bottom ETF shown on that month's filter sort. In other words, if the 4th/last ETF on the sort is SPY, select SH, or if the last ETF is IWM, instead select RWM, or if it's EEM, instead select EUM.

Thoughts being that SHY presents only when the major market ETFs are experiencing a bearish trend. Instead of using a bullish bias (i.e., always be long or neutral), modify the approach to go short the "worst performing" ETF when the major market indices and trend turn bearish. My gut feel is that it may increase your already stellar returns to even higher levels by participating on both long and short sides of the market movements.

Question 2: Can modifications be made to your backtest formula to determine the percentage impact to your baselined historical backtest by going short in this manner, instead of being defensive with SHY each time it was signaled?

Question 3: In the event such backtesting hasn't been done, or can't be done with ETF Replay, can you share your specific thoughts as to how one could manually calculate such a modification to your backtest?

Thanks again for all of your insights and great work!

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #94372
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
6/27/2010 7:12:00 PM

Why not simply create a portfolio which contains EEM, EUM, IWM, RWM, SPY, and SH? If your premise holds true, then as the market weakens one simply moves into the inverse ETFs rather than SHY because they will have the highest relative strength score.

I JUST DID THIS ON ETFREPLAY ...

RESULTS:

Using the standard EEM, IWM, and SHY strategy, the overall return (100% on 3-month RS, rebalance monthly) was 397% versus 41.3 for the SPX. Volatility was 21.9% versus 21.5 - essentially the same.

Using a 6 ETF portfolio containing EEM/EUM, IWM/RWM, and SPY/SH, same conditions as above returned 580%, with a volatility of 35.2 (higher, but so was the return).

Note that the risk-adjusted returns (let's just divide the annualized return by the annualized volatility) are as follows:

SPX annualized return = 5.06%
3 ETF annualized return = 25.74%
6 ETF (inverse) annualized return = 31.50%

risk adjusted returns are

SPX - 5.06/21.5 = 0.235
3 ETF - 25.74/21.9 = 1.175
6 ETF - 31.50/35.2 = 0.895

Obviously you get less volatility when using SHY than using the inverse ETFS, but also do not get as high a return.

It's up to the individual to decide what level of volatility they are willing to endure ...

gmoney
8 posts
msg #94374
Ignore gmoney
6/27/2010 11:06:12 PM

Brilliant, Kevin - you be da' man!

It was a "duh" moment for me, as your solution was so obvious and simple. Thanks for a quick and awesome response!

The 6 ETF scenario provides an enormous difference in the theoretical return, with a relatively small differential increase in risk & volatility, when compared with the 3 ETF values.

Have a great week!

gmoney
8 posts
msg #94380
Ignore gmoney
6/28/2010 1:12:03 AM

Two final clarification questions so I can better use and conduct evaluation testing myself on ETF Replay:

1) What specific feature(s) did you use on ETF Replay.com to backtest this 6 ETF strategy?

2) How and where did you record and describe the 6 ETF Strategy in order for ETF Replay to test it and display results? (i.e., strategy rules - one trade per month, based on highest Alpha produced, monthly rebalancing (why is any rebalancing required if only one ETF is invested at any one time?).

Thanks for your help.

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #94402
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
6/28/2010 9:18:07 PM

Two final clarification questions so I can better use and conduct evaluation testing myself on ETF Replay:

1) What specific feature(s) did you use on ETF Replay.com to backtest this 6 ETF strategy?

2) How and where did you record and describe the 6 ETF Strategy in order for ETF Replay to test it and display results? (i.e., strategy rules - one trade per month, based on highest Alpha produced, monthly rebalancing (why is any rebalancing required if only one ETF is invested at any one time?).

Thanks for your help.
+++++++++

Create an account. This lets you create and save ETF portfolios that you can backtest. It's really easy.

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · PORTFOLIO SELECTION AND MANAGEMENT USING RISK/REWARD RATIOS<< 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 65 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.