StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · 50 day Crossing 200 day (Golden Cross)<< >>Post Follow-up
vcolaianni
5 posts
msg #82770
Ignore vcolaianni
11/10/2009 3:24:20 PM

I'm trying to run a screen on some stocks to see what the price was when the 50 day moving average crossed above the 200 day moving average. I am new to technical analysis and don't have a clue how to accomplish this. I'm not sure if anyone knew how to do this or if it was possible on SF. Thanks in advance for your help.

Walid
130 posts
msg #82773
Ignore Walid
modified
11/10/2009 3:53:07 PM

It is possible. In fact, it is a prebuilt filter on the home page of the site. On the home page, look at the Quick Picks screen and make sure that Market Technical tab is selected. Click on the [+] sign next to Moving averages, this will expand it to show all the prebuilt filters under this category. The filter you are looking for is the 4th one. Click on it and you are done.
In the future, if you can’t find the filter you want, you can copy any prebuilt filter code to your filters and customize it to do whatever you need. Here is one way to do that.

After you click on any prebuilt filter and the result screen shows up, look at the tabs on top and select Customize. Now you can see the code for this prebuilt filter. Copy it to your My Filters tab and change the parameters to whatever you want.

Welcome aboard

vcolaianni
5 posts
msg #82774
Ignore vcolaianni
11/10/2009 3:58:38 PM

Thanks for the info and help. I'll try it and see how it goes.

vcolaianni
5 posts
msg #82780
Ignore vcolaianni
11/10/2009 4:12:08 PM

Thanks for your help Walid, and that's closer to what I am looking for, but I'm unable to edit the formula to get exactly what I need.

What I am trying to get is the historical price information on a large group of stocks that I am following. Specifically, I am trying to get the price level when these stock's 50 day MA crossed above their 200 day MA. I am trying to find those stocks that have not moved much since the Golden cross occurred or have pulled back to levels where their Golden cross occurred.

Once again, I'm not sure if it is possible to get this data on SF, but if anyone knows where or how I can locate this information, either on SF or another site, it would be most appreciated.

Walid
130 posts
msg #82786
Ignore Walid
modified
11/10/2009 4:53:08 PM

I am sorry I did not read your first post carefully. I am sure the code can be written, I just can’t do this at the moment since I am still at work. A quick short cut is to change the Look back setting after the prebuilt filter runs. For example, if you run the 50/200 today, you will get 8 results. Hover your mouse over the date Tuesday November 10, 2009 – the first line on top of the results grid – and you will get a drop down menu with options One day ago, Two days ago, One week ago, etc. Basically what this does is that it instructs the filter to look for the cross not on today’s date but rather on the Look back settings you just selected. Let’s say you go for a week ago and run the filter. Now look at the Since(%) column- it will appear after you change the look back period - to see the percentage change since the cross. Even better, click on the header of this column once or twice to sort the result set ascending or descending by this column and then you can select the percentage you want, say 1% since for instance. Hope this help until you get the parameterized code written.

To limit the results of the filter to a group of stocks of your choice, add a "symlist" phrase. For example, if you insert this as the last line of the 50/200 code, you will get only 2 results for today instead of 8

symlist(CCAJ,OPTT)

chetron
2,817 posts
msg #82791
Ignore chetron
modified
11/10/2009 6:04:08 PM

maybe...

OR THIS?
AND THIS?

Fetcher[
set{var1,count(MA(50) crossed above MA(200),21)}

draw ma(50)
draw ma(200)

add column var1

var1 above .5
close is above 5.00
average volume(30) is above 250000

sort column 5 descending
]

Eman93
4,750 posts
msg #82796
Ignore Eman93
11/10/2009 6:35:13 PM

you can also set it to populate a watch list .......

vcolaianni
5 posts
msg #82821
Ignore vcolaianni
11/11/2009 8:32:49 AM

Thanks for the help everyone, I'm going to try these suggesstions today and hopefully will be able to get the data I'm looking for. Once again, thanks for all your help.

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · 50 day Crossing 200 day (Golden Cross)<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.