StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Advanced Option : Buy when cumulative % change is below 2%<< >>Post Follow-up
sohailmithani
192 posts
msg #109155
Ignore sohailmithani
12/6/2012 12:54:43 PM

Hello fellow traders,

I have a filter which gives me triggers for next day buy. I usually buy the stocks when they are below 2% from yesterday close price so this one I know how to code in SF. The one I am struggling with is if say my trigger date is Dec 3rd and on Dec 4th it only drops 1.5% so it will not be bought (on Dec 4th) by my current system but I don't want to miss such opportunities. So what I want is to buy the stock on Dec 5th if it drops more than 0.5% to make cumulative loss for 2 days over 2% from trigger date.

Is this possible to do?
Again,
Dec 3rd - Trigger date - for a stock with close price of $10
Dec 4th - Stock closed at 9.85 - only losing 1.5% (not 2% as per my current criteria)
Dec 5th the - low for the day was below 9.8 - execute my order at 9.8 (cumulative loss of > 2% from Dec 3rd)

Pls help. Thanks

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #109156
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
12/6/2012 4:02:24 PM

Hello fellow traders,

I have a filter which gives me triggers for next day buy. I usually buy the stocks when they are below 2% from yesterday close price so this one I know how to code in SF. The one I am struggling with is if say my trigger date is Dec 3rd and on Dec 4th it only drops 1.5% so it will not be bought (on Dec 4th) by my current system but I don't want to miss such opportunities. So what I want is to buy the stock on Dec 5th if it drops more than 0.5% to make cumulative loss for 2 days over 2% from trigger date.

Is this possible to do?
Again,
Dec 3rd - Trigger date - for a stock with close price of $10
Dec 4th - Stock closed at 9.85 - only losing 1.5% (not 2% as per my current criteria)
Dec 5th the - low for the day was below 9.8 - execute my order at 9.8 (cumulative loss of > 2% from Dec 3rd)

Pls help. Thanks

The challenge here is to hold the entry price static while the actual price changes - if your filter returns a stock that closed today at $10, you want to get in if at any time within X days the price drops below $9.80 (2% below the close on the day of the trigger).

This cannot be coded in SF as far as I know. "close 1 day ago *0.98" changes every day, so that won't work. You could write a separate line of code(or separate filter) for each stock, but that is too time-consuming.

sohailmithani
192 posts
msg #109157
Ignore sohailmithani
12/6/2012 4:11:02 PM

Thanks.

There are so many limitations in SF that I am now giving it second thoughts. I am thinking of trying AmiBroker. Any experience with that? If so, do you think my idea will be codable on that scanner.

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Advanced Option : Buy when cumulative % change is below 2%<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.