StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Best tech man/woman on the forum?<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up
michael6201
6 posts
msg #37840
Ignore michael6201
9/7/2005 3:04:55 AM

Who is cosidered to be the best tech. man or woman on the forum. I need some help please.

Koronbock
201 posts
msg #37841
Ignore Koronbock
9/7/2005 3:17:22 AM

"Best" is always in the eye of the beholder. We do not have competitions here. Just tell us what your problem is and someone will step in and try to help.

shelupinin
120 posts
msg #37843
Ignore shelupinin
9/7/2005 9:41:55 AM

by the way, about competition.... I guess it would be nice to start some competition here between filter performance .... Everybody may post own best filter according to backtesting and we'll see which one is best...seeing other's filters is good way to get fresh ideas about filter creation...
just my $0.02
Alex

michael6201
6 posts
msg #37845
Ignore michael6201
9/7/2005 10:24:20 AM

Thank you koronbock, I have been studying the indicatores and understand some and how to read them. I'm very green though and don't know which would be the best three to find good stocks that may be going up in the short term. I'm also green about putting those indicators together and their exact settings. I have experimented with the help section. But would like some help from an experienced chart reader. Thanks again for any help.

michael6201
6 posts
msg #37846
Ignore michael6201
9/7/2005 10:30:41 AM

This is an example of one of my scans.

MACD Fast Line crossed above MACD Slow Line, MACD Histogram has been increasing for 2 days, +DI(14) crossed above -DI(14), RSI above 60, average volume (10) is above 100000, price crossed above MA(50), volume has increased

Koronbock
201 posts
msg #37849
Ignore Koronbock
9/7/2005 12:12:04 PM

Michael,

I would suggest you go the "Filter Exchange" section here and read some past messages. There are tons of filters. Start with the short and simple ones first. You learn most by experimenting with them yourself. Just start simple, look at other peoples code, modify it, understand the syntax...

Here is a link to get you started:

http://www.stockfetcher.com/stockdb/fetcher?p=forum&sub=view&fid=1002&tid=37816&mid=37820&efstext=c2ltcGxlIGZpbHRlcg#37820

MACD Fast Line crossed above MACD Slow Line, MACD Histogram has been increasing for 2 days, +DI(14) crossed above -DI(14), RSI above 60, average volume (10) is above 100000, price crossed above MA(50), volume has increased

Some hints on your "filter ideas"a bove:

1.Lots of indicators are redundant, they measure essentially the same thing. MACD and MACD histogram are just different ways to express crossing averages of price.
2. "RSI above 60" will get you stocks which have already moved considerably. If this is to be a LONG filter, try lower RSI values. Rump (who is the SF wizzard here) is advocating very LOW RSI values.
3. "Price crossed above MA(50)" is a very popular indicator. Again, that kind of stock has already risen substantially. It might be useful in combination with a pullback scan. It all depends on yxour timeframe though.

Hope this helps,

michael6201
6 posts
msg #37850
Ignore michael6201
9/7/2005 1:41:25 PM

Thanks. How would I phrase it if I want stocks that have at least 2x the volume greater than the average Daily volume?

Koronbock
201 posts
msg #37851
Ignore Koronbock
9/7/2005 4:20:07 PM

Michael,

there are several ways to do this. The following is very easy, it avoids the SET command, which I recommend you turn to at a later stage.
Assuming you want the Average Volume over the last 30 days:

Volume is more than 200% above Average Volume(30)

nikoschopen
2,824 posts
msg #37873
Ignore nikoschopen
9/8/2005 7:01:55 PM

"2x the volume greater than the average Daily volume"

How am I to interpret this?
(1)"2x the volume" that is "greater than the average Daily volume"? OR
(2)volume that is just greater than twice the average Daily volume?

(1) doesn't really make much sense unless you want to multiply today's volume by 2 to see whether that would actually be "greater" than the ADV. For example, you are looking for a stock that has a 10-day average volume that is less than twice the daily volume (namely, today's volume)

set{V1, 2 x volume}
V1 above Avgvol(10)set{V1, 2 x volume}
V1 above Avgvol(10)
set{ratio, v1 divided by avgvol(10)}
add column avgvol(10){adv10}
add column ratio

This will allow you to see by how much, in percentage, the daily volume exceeds the ADV(10)

(2) is a straight forward expression & you probably shouldn't have too much problem yourself.

nikoschopen
2,824 posts
msg #37874
Ignore nikoschopen
9/8/2005 7:04:07 PM

Correction:

set{V1, 2 x volume}
V1 above Avgvol(10)
set{ratio, v1 divided by avgvol(10)}
add column avgvol(10){adv10}
add column ratio

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Best tech man/woman on the forum?<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.