StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Candles be damned<< >>Post Follow-up
klynn55
747 posts
msg #63077
Ignore klynn55
5/27/2008 11:48:07 PM

If you look at Bulkowski's site and you try a program called Candlepower6, both point to Candlesticks dependent on another indicator for success. For instance, at http://thepatternsite.com/CandlesSingle.html, time and time again, the most common patterns are 50% continuation or reversal, is that all there is? anyone trading candles on their own merits?

luc1grunt
622 posts
msg #63080
Ignore luc1grunt
5/28/2008 7:07:17 AM

candles serve to reinforce or alert you to "possible" changes in action. Knowing candle patterns is important, but I don't know many using them as a stand-alone in their entry/selection.

Take a "hard" look at americanbulls.com and their results. Note the method they record the buys from the selections (if a candle proves to be correct by the end of the day, they use the opening price).

FuriousThug
256 posts
msg #63130
Ignore FuriousThug
5/29/2008 5:54:33 PM

I've looked a lot at candlestick patterns and backtested quite a few of the ones considered to be the highest probability. Unfortunately, I found that, assuming you traded candlesticks on their signals alone, you would probably do just as well going long bearish patterns and short bullish ones as you would by following their intended signals.

I'm not about to abandon candlesticks, though; but I'd like to find a fairly reliable set of indicators that would complement candlesticks' short-term signals - I like screening by candlestick patterns. Be curious to see anyone's filters who've started with a candlestick screen and then narrowed with fairly effective indicator criteria as well.

The one great thing about candlesticks themselves that I like to use is the visual info they give on their own. Long shadows or long solid bodies by themselves can give you a great clue as to near-term movement (for example, today's upper shadows across the indexes (and spinning top in the NYSE) plus the approach to their respective short-term MAs makes me a little cautious about going long tomorrow--though we'll see what happens; I can't seem to get ANYTHING right these days).

Todd

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Candles be damned<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.