StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · ETF Volume<< >>Post Follow-up
glgene
613 posts
msg #36747
Ignore glgene
7/6/2005 3:31:56 PM

I understand why a single stock, with low volume, can be dangerous to hold if you have a bad day or a couple of bad days in a row.

But I don't understand why a thinly-traded Exchange Traded Fund (ETF) is price-sensitive. An ETF is a basket of many stocks, each of which generates their own volume.

Would someone tell me what I'm missing. Thanks.

GL Gene

alf44
2,025 posts
msg #36774
Ignore alf44
7/7/2005 1:44:30 PM

Here's what you're missing:

First, your premise is somewhat incorrect.

You said: "a thinly-traded Exchange Traded Fund (ETF) is price-sensitive." You seem to draw this conclusion based on liquidity concerns with thinly traded ETFs (ie. low trading volume).

An ETF is a security that is tied to some underlying asset, index or basket of stocks. The share price of an ETF is tied to the Net Asset Value (NAV) of that underlying asset, index or basket of stocks. If at any time the share price of an ETF trades at a premium OR a discount to that NAV of the underlying...rest assured arbitrage players quickly step in and buy or sell accordingly. This activity will ALWAYS keep the share price of the ETF and the NAV of the underlying in line. It is a mechanism that all but insures a fair price for the retail investor.

The daily trading volume of any particular ETF has nothing to do with the "liquidity" of that ETF ! Where it does present a bit of a problem is in the spread between the Bid and the Ask of that "thinly traded" ETF ! Sometimes the Bid/Ask spread of those thinly traded ETFs can be excessive. And that is problem...NOT the "low trading volume."

alf44 :8^)

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · ETF Volume<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.