StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · ETF trading: using SF for ETF internals<< >>Post Follow-up
joepistell
37 posts
msg #119168
Ignore joepistell
4/19/2014 3:39:24 PM

I need the super smart traders here to tell me if this is possible.

Goal: Trade an ETF based on the technicals of the stocks that are in the ETF.

Example: If 34% of the Dow 30 is above it's ma(8), buy DIA.

I see we have symbol list dow 30, or watch lists to call.

Clueless in Syracuse

joepistell
37 posts
msg #119170
Ignore joepistell
modified
4/19/2014 3:59:30 PM

Background

While listening to the world class trader Linda Bradford Raschke on youtube*, she spoke of one of her favorite setups where if close is > ma(5) for 7 of the last 7 days, then buy the 1st close below the ma(5) and sell 7 days later.
*https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf6zPlqVVr0 (6:30 mark)

Fetcher[/* GLOBAL*/
show optionable stocks
and not etf
and price above 4
and avgvol(90) is > 250000

and close is above ma(200)
and ma(150) is above ma(200)

and count(close is above ma(5), 7) equals 7
]

While tinkering in backtesting, I noticed brief periods where this filter would drop to zero. They made for FANTASTIC entry points in the major indexes. This lead me to think that tracking internal technicals would be an ideal sell or buy signal for ETFs, indexes or for timing trades in general.

thoughts?

p.s. entry dates back tested last 2 years:

==2012==
6-19
10-31

==2013==
6-16

==2014==
2-5

Un-optimized Summary: if your in an up-trending market this calc equals zero "count(close is above ma(5), 7) equals 7", then buy the next open.

joepistell
37 posts
msg #119171
Ignore joepistell
modified
4/19/2014 4:06:16 PM

Here's a screenshot of the backtest. I arrowed the zero buy days.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

joepistell
37 posts
msg #119175
Ignore joepistell
modified
4/20/2014 8:22:10 AM

I arrowed the backtesting signals (above) on a 2yr chart of IWM

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

guspenskiy13
976 posts
msg #119236
Ignore guspenskiy13
modified
4/27/2014 5:31:07 PM

Very interesting, it seems that we are just buying the dip in a strong up-trend with this strategy?

P.S.

Considering your question of trading ETF based on the technicals of the stocks that are in the ETF,,,

If the technicals in the stock look good, why bother with ETF at all?

joepistell
37 posts
msg #119634
Ignore joepistell
5/12/2014 7:42:24 PM

Simply looking at internal signals from each stock within the ETF to help signal an change in the tide.

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · ETF trading: using SF for ETF internals<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.