StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · FILTER NEEDED FOR STOCKS THAT HAVE JUST FILLED GAP<< >>Post Follow-up
mesayah
658 posts
msg #86768
Ignore mesayah
modified
1/21/2010 10:16:15 PM

LOOKING FOR A SCREEN FOR STOCKS THAT JUST FILLED GAP. EITHER EOD OR INTRADAY.

2 filters, 1 short term and 1 that took months to fill. If at all possible.

Price tends to run the other way after fill.

taylorsk
106 posts
msg #86786
Ignore taylorsk
1/22/2010 10:04:08 AM

Hi There,

These are a bit hard to do as gaps can vary quite a bit, however Chetron was kind enough to provide some guidance to me previously in a thred called "Gap Filled Question"

http://forums.stockfetcher.com/sfforums/?q=view&fid=1002&tid=83814&qrid=&isiframe=

check out the link.

I have been working on this for a while now and I now run 2 filters to cut down on my work.

I run a filter that identifies gaps of 8 - 30%. When stocks meet the criteria I then add it to a watchlist. I then run another filter that only looks at the watchlist for conditions where the 5 ema has turned. It is not perfect, but it gives me the best gap setups.

I run global filter on all these.

first the globals( you could adjust these to your price point etc.

volume above 500000
and Average Volume(30)is above 200000
close today above 5
close today below 40

LONG

SET{A1, HIGH 1 DAY AGO}
SET{A2, OPEN}
SET{A3, OPEN / A1}
SET{A, COUNT(A3 ABOVE 1.08,1)}
SET{B, COUNT(A3 BELOW 1.3,1)}
SET{X, A + B}
SET{ALERT, A1*1.01}
SHOW STOCKS WHERE X EQUALS 2
SHOW STOCKS WHERE ALERT IS GREATER THAN 5

add column A1
add column ALERT
sort by column 3 descending

So thid identifies stocks that have a "high to open" gap of 8 - 30%
I also set an alert column. I want to be notified when price comes to within 1% of the high(very close to filling the gap, but gaps don't always fill perfectly, so I want to be notified as the approach)

When stocks meet these criteria I then add then to a watchlist.

I then have a filter that tells me when the stocks that have gapped have a 5 ema that has turned up. i still have to weed through some stocks that have not filled the gap, but at least I can keep an eye on them.

EMA(5) IS GREATER THAN EMA(5) 1 DAY AGO
EMA(5) 1 DAY AGO IS LESS THAN EMA(5) 2 DAYS AGO
APPLY TO WATCHLIST (GPUP)
close is more than 1% above close 1 day ago
close is less than 7% above the close 1 day ago

I run the opposite of this filter for stocks that gap down as well

SET{A1, LOW 1 DAY AGO}
SET{A2, OPEN}
SET{A3, OPEN / A1}
SET{A, COUNT(A3 ABOVE .70,1)}
SET{B, COUNT(A3 BELOW .92,1)}
SET{X, A + B}
SET{ALERT, A1*.99}
SHOW STOCKS WHERE X EQUALS 2
SHOW STOCKS WHERE ALERT IS GREATER THAN 5

add column A1
add column ALERT
sort by column 3 descending

add to watchlist then run this filter

EMA(5) IS LESS THAN EMA(5) 1 DAY AGO
EMA(5) 1 DAY AGO IS MORE THAN EMA(5) 2 DAYS AGO
APPLY TO WATCHLIST (GPDOWN)
close ismore than 1% below close 1 day ago
close is less than 7% below the close 1 day ago



Hope that helps! If anyone has a more efficient way to do this I would be interested to hear.










taylorsk
106 posts
msg #86787
Ignore taylorsk
1/22/2010 10:07:19 AM

Forgot to mention, I also genreally will only look 9 weeks back. most gaps occur around earnings, so with a 13 week earnings cycle, I tend to want to leave myself a few weeks to get in and out before the next earnings come. I also tend to be a bit conservative and look to only capture 80% of the gap.
Sometimes I will sell 70% of my position at this point and then sell the remaining 30% when the 5 ema turns down.

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · FILTER NEEDED FOR STOCKS THAT HAVE JUST FILLED GAP<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.


Copyright 2016 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus