StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Full time traders...where do you get health insurance<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up
dforant1
76 posts
msg #71460
Ignore dforant1
2/15/2009 6:53:13 PM

klynn55 2/14/2009 8:51:32 PM

I'm self employed, Blue Cross, Pa bill came, ruined my weekend, raised to $932.00 per month for me and the wife. I'll be bagging groceries in my 90's to pay for hospitalization.
********************************************************************************

Klynn,
you should be able to join a Chamber of Commerce and get a decent price. I was self employed and paid about $900 per quarter. Annual dues was about $250. They offer several plans. Blue Cross generally bleeds you out. Also call your Small Business Bureau for ideas.

Good luck.

guru_trader
485 posts
msg #71461
Ignore guru_trader
modified
2/16/2009 4:10:14 AM

I've been using Assurant Health for over 10 years. They are a bit pricey but I've never had problems with them.

maxreturn
745 posts
msg #71469
Ignore maxreturn
2/16/2009 7:36:33 PM

Thanks everyone. Good trading to all of you in 2009 and beyond.

Max

Radiomuse
288 posts
msg #71512
Ignore Radiomuse
2/18/2009 3:23:28 PM

Try www.esurance.com I live in IL, went with a PPO from Unicare for about $120/month.

BuylateSellearly
29 posts
msg #71556
Ignore BuylateSellearly
2/19/2009 6:03:45 PM

My trading bot IS my health insurance.

FuriousThug
256 posts
msg #73042
Ignore FuriousThug
3/24/2009 1:32:53 AM

An HSA is one of the only real tax benefits people can get (other than retirement contributions and mortgage interest deductions).

Health Savings Account (and, no, it's not an Archer or MSA or FSA). This is a health plan (mandatorily a high-deductible health plan) administered by a number of different providers (Blue Cross, Kaiser, etc.) that's coupled with a bank (Chase, et al.).

Briefly, from wikipedia:

"A health savings account (HSA), is a tax-advantaged medical savings account available to taxpayers in the United States who are enrolled in a High Deductible Health Plan (HDHP). The funds contributed to the account are not subject to federal income tax at the time of deposit. Unlike a flexible spending account (FSA), funds roll over and accumulate year over year if not spent. HSAs are owned by the individual, which differentiates them from the company-owned Health Reimbursement Arrangement (HRA) that is an alternate tax-deductible source of funds paired with HDHPs. Funds may be used to pay for qualified medical expenses at any time without federal tax liability. Withdrawals for non-medical expenses are treated very similarly to those in an IRA in that they may provide tax advantages if taken after retirement age, and they incur penalties if taken earlier. These accounts are a component of consumer driven health care.

Proponents of HSAs believe that they are an important reform that will help reduce the growth of health care costs and increase the efficiency of the health care system. According to proponents, HSAs encourage saving for future health care expenses, allow the patient to receive needed care without a gate keeper to determine what benefits are allowed and make consumers more responsible for their own health care choices through the required High-Deductible Health Plan.

Opponents of HSAs say they worsen, rather than improve, the U.S. health system's problems because people who are healthy will leave insurance plans while people who have health problems will avoid HSAs. There is also debate about consumer satisfaction with these plans."

Wish I still had some of the resources I remember reading when I set this up back in 2005.
I went from paying nearly $8k/year premium for a family of 4 to $2,500/year. Thing is, if you never go to the doc once all year, you're out the $8k...whether you use it or not. Instead, I'm actually MAKING money on being insured in some of the years where there are little or no medical expenses....that's right....MAKING money.

EWZuber
1,373 posts
msg #73044
Ignore EWZuber
3/24/2009 2:35:15 AM

JMO, I think people that are health conscience are better off taking the money that they would spend on insurance and use that money to buy organic food and cleansing herbal tonics to remain in top health. Accupuncture, TCM, Prolozone and other holistic protocols that are non toxic and healing by nature.
The problem with paying huge health insurance premiums is that when the time comes, all you will get for your money is symptomatic supression and disease management, not healing.
People do not become ill from a lack of pharmaceutical drugs, or surgeries, it's generally from a loss of homeostasis.
Probably not what you were lookig for but couldn't help myself.

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Full time traders...where do you get health insurance<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.