StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Help with MA filter<< >>Post Follow-up
ravinandan
1 posts
msg #60158
Ignore ravinandan
3/3/2008 11:35:35 PM

I'm new to writing filters, have created some basic ones that have worked great, but I can't figure this one out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm trying to create filter that will give me results for stocks that have an increasing MA(10) (it doesn't matter how long they've been increasing, a day or a month) and where the stock has closed consistently below the MA since it started increasing and has just now crossed or closed above the MA.

As this isn't date specific, as in, close is below for 1 day, or 2 days, etc. I'm having trouble with the syntax.

Thanks again for the help.

marine2
963 posts
msg #60162
Ignore marine2
3/4/2008 1:11:10 AM

Ty changing the MA number to read MA(20) instead of MA(10). At least you get some decent filtered picks from this:

and ma(20) is increasing previous 30 days
and price is below ma(20) previous 2 days
and macd(4,8)fast line is crossing above macd(4,8)slow line at close

The macd(4,8) action will be your buy trigger.

nikoschopen
2,824 posts
msg #60163
Ignore nikoschopen
3/4/2008 2:01:01 AM

Quote from ravinandan:

I'm trying to create filter that will give me results for stocks that have an increasing MA(10) (it doesn't matter how long they've been increasing, a day or a month) and where the stock has closed consistently below the MA since it started increasing and has just now crossed or closed above the MA.

Only way for any moving average to rise higher is for the underlying stock to first cross and remain above the moving average.

zeezeetop
30 posts
msg #60164
Ignore zeezeetop
3/4/2008 4:48:07 AM

This is a slightly different way to achieve a similar goal. It's called the Mud Zone and was written by Muddy. I have changed a line or two although the logic is there.

If you haven't read some of his discussions, he finds stocks headed up and buys when the price drops below the smaller moving average and is above a larger MA. The price trend should be above the larger MA for several weeks. I think he recommends MA10 for the smaller MA and MA30 for the larger one. He has a blog called

http://www.greenonthescreen.blogspot.com/

When the market is in bull mode you should be able to achieve a high win rate with this method. We're bear hugging right now, so optimisitc traders could make a appetizing meal for a grizzley. Short etf's could be a more reasonable choice.

Show stocks were price is less than MA(10)
and price is greater than EMA(50)
and 10 day slope of MA(100) is greater than 0.05
and pe < 50
and MACD Fast Line(12,26) above the MACD Slow Line(12,26)

add column pe
add column 5 day slope of MA(50)

HTH

EWZuber
1,373 posts
msg #60165
Ignore EWZuber
3/4/2008 5:13:46 AM

Rather than looking for the stock to break above the MA(10), I suspect the odds are better if the stock is caught when it bounces up off of the MA which is in an uptrend.
It must be at the very least, flat.

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Help with MA filter<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.