StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · How Long Did It Take Before You Became A Profitable Trader?<< 1 2 3 >>Post Follow-up
stocktrader
294 posts
msg #47817
Ignore stocktrader
11/5/2006 8:35:45 AM

"And that goes for you too, stocktrader. Quit listening to what TRO has to say..for good.
"

#1 rule in the markets, learn to listen. Let the trade come to you.

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #47821
Ignore TheRumpledOne
11/5/2006 10:00:20 AM

From THE TRADING RULES:

8. Successful traders isolate themselves from the opinions of
others.

nikoschopen
2,824 posts
msg #47824
Ignore nikoschopen
11/5/2006 4:27:27 PM

How convenient. To preach one thing (Stop listening to others) while practicing another (learn to listen to others) sounds pretty damn contradictory to me. But then again, this ain't no excercise in logic. I'll take it as just another comic relief. I, for one, have judiciously transformed myself into a cynic over the years for the same reason you touted as trite nonsense from others that does more harm than good. So it's only natural that I question one's motive when I see something that just don't add up.

Nevertheless, TRO, I do not question the fait accompli you have generously made for ureself as a filtermeister. While a great trader you might be, however, it certainly doesn't give you a free pass that you habitually think ure entitled to. For example, this thread was about "how long" it takes for one to turn the corner, and yet you provide some general nondescript answer that has no bearing on the original question. Perhaps what the questioner really wants to know is what he or she is doing wrong. But, as usual, you provide answers in the vein of "it ain't what you trade, but how you trade." I ain't so sure that's sufficient as an answers, let alone even relevant. At least to this uncouth ears, not only does it sound chauvinistic but downright condescending. Be that as it may, I see no reason to take a draconian measure of banishing ure post to oblivion. After all, the #1 rule in the markets is to "learn to listen".

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #47826
Ignore TheRumpledOne
modified
11/5/2006 6:22:01 PM

Niko, you ever hear STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN?

"...cause you know sometimes words have two meanings."

Many times person A tells person B that B is not listening because B didn't do what A said to do. That's what I meant about not "listening" to others. I may hear what they have to say but I no longer act on it.

Free pass? I have no idea what you are talking about.

Niko, I know you don't like the "It's not what you trade, it's how you trade it" motto. But, like it or not, it's true. It's not about being condescending, it's about getting a trader to see the difference between stock trading and stock selection. Finding and picking HOT stocks is not trading. Move over to FOREX, where there are 4 major pairs, 3 commodity pairs and a few exotic pairs. Not much choice compared to the 9,000+ stocks you can select. But FOREX is a TRILLION DOLLAR A DAY MARKET that makes equities look like a sandbox. When I teach trading, the student may only trade one instrument until they learn how to trade. The only stock I daytrade is AAPL. I trade EURUSD short and GBPUSD long. I practice what I preach.

Niko, I think you just like to "jerk chains" but that's ok.

luc1grunt
622 posts
msg #47827
Ignore luc1grunt
11/5/2006 6:51:00 PM

OK then.............back to the title of the thread, "How Long Did It Take Before You Became A Profitable Trader?" Anyone out there?

luc1grunt
622 posts
msg #47801
Ignore luc1grunt
modified
11/5/2006 6:51:47 PM

Consistently profitable after 1 solid year of heavy, active trading and 20 years of investing trendlines and fundamentals. Time will tell the gross % to include tax ramifications of either method (I still do both). This board as well as others have opened my eyes to different techniques and methods, but my profits come from my system and my losers are from when I deviate from that system.

Here's the scan for daily intraday swing stocks. I load and watch their behavior EVERYDAY. 1000 shares at 3:1 Reward to risk equals consistency.

show stocks where the day range is above 1%
and Average Volume(90) above 8000000
and Close above 30
and market is nasdaq

Thanks to all contributors. :)

nikoschopen
2,824 posts
msg #47829
Ignore nikoschopen
11/5/2006 7:08:26 PM

TRO,

Ure point is well taken. But, needless to say, you can't be ure own arbiter. In addition, I have never argued against the validity of "it ain't what you trade, but how you trade" as opposed to the ways in which it has been bandied about. No matter how true it may be, this type of empty rhetoric hardly serves any purpose in reality. Just how does one suppose to act on this priceless nonsense, which everyone is aware of anyway? Oh, yes, you did say that not everyone acts upon what they already know. But whether they do act or not ain't ure business. All in all, if you want to dole out sage advices, you should consider giving out more practical advice that one can actually use in trading.

With regards to Forex analogy, I lost the gist of ure argument. You seemed to imply that the formula of success rests upon how you trade rather than the process of stock selection. As a futures trader myself, I can readily sympathize with the arduous task of selecting stocks. Unfortunately, however, that's about as far as ure overstated hype of "it ain't what you trade, but how you trade" goes. Since you never bothered to take this process any further, the whole thing is rendered moot in my opinion. Sure, you can make a ton of money if you know HOW to trade, but that doesn't minimize the importance of stock selection on the basis of verifiable backtesting.

In many ways than one, I only "jerk chains" when called for, irrespective of the fact whether it's warranted or not. Now, with all due respect, may I ask that you stick to the point in the future as luc1grunt has correctly stated.

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #47831
Ignore TheRumpledOne
modified
11/5/2006 7:50:06 PM

Niko:

I have posted many "HOW TO TRADE" tactics. "GRIDIRON TRADING" and "FADING THE GAP" are two that I can think of readily. Perhaps you missed them.

stocktrader
294 posts
msg #47810
Ignore stocktrader
modified
11/5/2006 11:40:39 PM

<Deleted>

sggc
4 posts
msg #47901
Ignore sggc
11/10/2006 8:42:46 AM

stocktrader What happened to your filter?

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · How Long Did It Take Before You Became A Profitable Trader?<< 1 2 3 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.