StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · How to Swing Trade<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up
Eman93
4,750 posts
msg #91152
Ignore Eman93
modified
4/13/2010 11:29:06 PM

I have been here a while now and spent many hours of reading, studding, writing filters staring at charts.

I have leaned a lot, I know what not to do a lot better than what to do.

I am putting this list out here in hopes of starting some conversation, around why folks here press the buy button.

I know why I do it, because I don't know any better.....LOL... although I feel I am right on the doorstep of becoming a descent trader, I still struggle.

Here is my list of dos and do notts:

Do trade longs in an uptrend
Do have an entry plan
Do have an exit plan
Do consider the overall market
Do some research on the company
Do find the leaders in each sector ( this I don't do much)
Do read books (I tend to read articles on the Internets)
Do stick to your trade.
Do be very patient
Do understand money management
Do pick one thing and stick with it. ( this is what has hurt me the most)
Do practice

the donts and I have done these all and still trip up....

Dont chase
Dont try to guess
Dont let others sway your judgment
Dont sell winners early
Dont be lazy
Dont trade against the indicators
Dont try to pick tops and bottoms ... this is tough we all do it...
Dont let your emotions win

I am sure I missed a bunch so jump in don't be shy.....

I know there are a lot of rules to trade lists from an email or web sites posted here, what I would like is to hear from real people who use this site and what rules they use, what works for them in the real world.

johnpaulca
12,036 posts
msg #91153
Ignore johnpaulca
modified
4/13/2010 11:36:12 PM

Good list Eman. I would like to add another very important "DO" if you ever want to be good at something, you must practice and practice and practice.

Eman93
4,750 posts
msg #91155
Ignore Eman93
4/14/2010 12:11:14 AM

JP

Anything you would recommend..... as far as good practice?

Thanks

alf44
2,025 posts
msg #91157
Ignore alf44
modified
4/14/2010 12:51:04 AM

... Narrow Your Focus ... !!!

---

Once you develop an approach ... a plan ... a system ... to "Trading the Market" ...

... APPLY IT TO ONE INDEX ... ONE ETF ... ONE STOCK ... ONE SYMBOL ...

... then ...

PRACTICE ... PRACTICE ... PRACTICE !!!

---

Narrow your focus to ONE or, only a FEW...symbols !!!

---

Repetition is the Mother of Success !!!

heypa
283 posts
msg #91175
Ignore heypa
4/14/2010 12:48:37 PM

I agree with "practice practice practice.
A quote attributed to Vince Lombardi. "Practice makes perfect only if the practice is perfect."
Be careful what you practice.

DMOBRIEN
363 posts
msg #91176
Ignore DMOBRIEN
4/14/2010 1:07:18 PM

Check SEC Form 4 Filings
Trade with the insiders
Let profits run

Walid
130 posts
msg #91178
Ignore Walid
4/14/2010 1:35:46 PM

Do not trade to make money in the beginning. Instead, Trade for the best consistent performance records. Do this and money will sure follow; trade for money and sure you will lose a lot of it.

fortyfour
189 posts
msg #91186
Ignore fortyfour
modified
4/14/2010 5:09:57 PM

Look at ISRG......a fav of mine.....look at the recent pullback......Williams %r(10) < -75 then close crosses above
parabolic sar(.15,.015)..... (or a million other ways of defining a pull back , then the resumption of the move up.)

In at 345......it failed and I stopped out at 335......look at ISRG now.......go figure.......

Tony Soprano: "What are you gonna do"

Mactheriverrat
3,131 posts
msg #91192
Ignore Mactheriverrat
4/14/2010 7:17:04 PM

In Dr. Alexander Elder's book " Trading for a living" on page 266 he write's about Stop's and stop loss- IMHO its best to use them as its better to sell and trade and fight another day than to hold onto hope and emotions in a losing postion.

johnpaulca
12,036 posts
msg #91193
Ignore johnpaulca
4/14/2010 7:18:16 PM

44: this is also a fav of mine. I bought in the Booya buy zone ($350ish) and sold at about $367ish(at resistance). I was looking for a pullback and got a breakout, now I will look at entering around the breakout area...maybe around $370

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · How to Swing Trade<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.