StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · I see the infighting still continues here<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up
SurfnDestiny
78 posts
msg #42320
Ignore SurfnDestiny
3/22/2006 8:35:12 AM

A filtermiester. I love it. Maybe that can be posted under a name, next to ignore.

To tell you the truth I haven`t seen, or written a perfect filter yet. Stockfetcher seems to have enough variance in its program to preclude a perfect filter. Or at least where the percentages can be extremely high. The RSI(5) signal has giving me the best reversal results that I can find so far. But it does not act consistantly. RSI(5) produces different hits when used in different programs. So I cannot brag about much I have done. (there - Humility 101)

heypa
283 posts
msg #42328
Ignore heypa
3/22/2006 11:42:43 AM

There is no perfect filter.Quit looking for one lest you discourage yourself from trading.Filters if you use them can only eliminate those stocks from consideration that in all probability are a waste of time.Never buy a stock that is not rising or hold a stock that's dropping.In the parlance of hunting game for the table "are you hunting to put meat on the table or to show how good a shot you are?".As TRO says It's how you trade.You must pick tradable stocks from the list of stocks you have no matter how you got the list.
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER

alf44
2,025 posts
msg #42330
Ignore alf44
modified
3/22/2006 12:20:45 PM

...great post heypa !

In order to FIND something...it must first exist !

The endless search for the "perfect filter" is a complete waste of time !

It doesn't exist ! imo

PRICE (price action specifically)...is the ONLY "Indicator" that really matters !

Regards,

alf44

SurfnDestiny
78 posts
msg #42338
Ignore SurfnDestiny
3/22/2006 4:45:30 PM

Never said I was looking for a perfect filter. The discussion was about people bragging about how great their filters are. But, only a fool would not look for better odds.

nikoschopen
2,824 posts
msg #42343
Ignore nikoschopen
3/22/2006 8:59:57 PM

While there is no perfect filter, a serious-minded trader would tell you that there's always room for improvements. This is where backtesting comes into play. For eons, traders have relied on backtesting to curve-fit their filters until they're practically rendered useless. The merit of backtesting, of course, is to see how well a given filter stands in a changing environment. And speaking of which, the longer the duration of backtesting more accurate will its results be. Needless to say, this requires many years of probing and not just 2 to 11 days (as some of you might otherwise think). I guess it doesn't matter whose idea it was to replace backtesting for a quick-and-dirty "Date Offset" since the idea was inherently a bad one from the start!

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #42362
Ignore TheRumpledOne
3/23/2006 7:22:10 AM

Edward de Bono's Message for Today - 23rd March 2006

If you only have a vague explanation then you try and improve it and are open to new ideas. If you have a detailed and apparently complete explanation all you want to do is preserve and defend it.

© Edward de Bono, 1971. "Practical Thinking"
Published by Penguin Books, 1976.

nikoschopen
2,824 posts
msg #42376
Ignore nikoschopen
3/23/2006 12:49:26 PM

"The visionary lies to himself, the liar only to others."

-Friedrich Nietzsche

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · I see the infighting still continues here<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.