StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Including stocks from top industry groups<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up
Rick67
64 posts
msg #98398
Ignore Rick67
1/4/2011 1:01:27 PM

Is there a way to only include stocks / EFT's from top performing industry groups?

I could scan the industry groups on StockFetcher and insert the top performing names into the filter.

But can I say "include industry groups which have gained XX% in the past XX days"?

This is my first day on Stockfetcher!

Thanks for your help!

Rick
Columbus, OH

brentv
3 posts
msg #98401
Ignore brentv
1/4/2011 5:00:39 PM

This is exactly the kind of thing I need to do. I want to evaluate all the stocks in the top XX industries over the last YY days.

four
5,087 posts
msg #98406
Ignore four
modified
1/4/2011 7:36:20 PM

http://www.stockfetcher.com/ui2/plugins/sector.php?mode=INDL&full=1
List of industries
--
example
Fetcher[apply to Industry(UTILITY - WATER SUPPLY)]

brentv
3 posts
msg #98409
Ignore brentv
1/4/2011 8:52:54 PM

Thank you.

That's a good start, but my interest changes every day depending on which industries are moving the most. Is there some way to have SF return the stocks from the best industry (whatever industry that happens to be)? I can go to the stockfetcher.com home page and sort the industries and manually type that into my filter, like you did with Utility - Water Supply, but surely there should be a way to have the software do that for me.

I want a:

apply to Industry(best 10 industries, 1 month)

function. That would return all the stocks in the best 10 industries, evaluated over a 1 month time frame, for example. I could then sort them according to other criteria within my filter. I'd like to not have to manually insert the industry names each time I use the filter.

Thanks,
Brent

four
5,087 posts
msg #98410
Ignore four
modified
1/4/2011 10:43:56 PM

Fetcher[
add column Industry
symlist(c,f,mmm,jnj,jci,lly,pfe)
]

brentv
3 posts
msg #98413
Ignore brentv
1/5/2011 12:54:49 AM

Thanks again.

I just got a response from the SF support people:

======
show stocks where close is above 5.00
and stocks in top industries(10,monthly)
and add column industry

The first parameter is the number of industries, the second parameter is the period (valid options are currently: daily, weekly, monthly and yearly)
======

This does exactly what I want. I hope it's helpful to someone else.

Brent

Rick67
64 posts
msg #98426
Ignore Rick67
1/5/2011 12:58:38 PM

Thanks for finding out we can do this. It works for me too!

This is only my second day using StockFetcher and I seems to be just what I am looking for!

Rick
Columbus. Oh

duke56468
683 posts
msg #98431
Ignore duke56468
1/5/2011 1:51:30 PM

This may be how it would look for weekly 5

Fetcher[
show stocks where close is above 5.00
and stocks in top industries(5,weekly)
and add column industry
and add column RSI(14)

sort on column 6 descending
]

sierraseller
23 posts
msg #98447
Ignore sierraseller
1/5/2011 9:40:09 PM

I really like the concept here. I ran this filter:

show stocks where close is above 2.00
and stocks in top industries(5,weekly)
and add column industry
and add column RSI(14)

sort on column 6 descending

I expected to see stocks from the top 5 industries (Industries ranked by the ones that had the highest performance in the last week) sorted by RSI. To check the results, I went to the home page, view all industries, and sorted the 1 week % column. This showed the top 5 industries for the last week to be (from 1st to 5th) Machinery-Elect Utilities (1), Retail-Drug Stores (7), Banks-West (45), Electronic Products-Misc (31), Insurance-Life industries(18.

The filter results were sorted by RSI and the last four industries were represented, but no stock from the top ranked Machinery-Elect Utilities, industry was displayed. So I ran the filter for the Machinery-Elect Utilities industry and found the missing stock was ZBB $1.20 and thus too low in price to be displayed by my filter.

I mention this only to point out that the industry that was ranked #1 got that ranking by having an increase of some 11 cents because the 10% percentage increase was calculated off a base of just over $1.12. I'll be inspecting the results to make sure I'm not looking at big increases off very small base prices.

Rick67
64 posts
msg #98540
Ignore Rick67
1/11/2011 11:11:26 AM

I was testing this filter today:

and add column industry and add column sector
and stocks in top industries(6,monthly)

It returned mostly Medical - Biomedical stocks.

When I check the Industry listing on the home page and sort by the "6 Month (%)" column, Medical - Biomedical shows up way down the list ... it is not a top 6.

There must be something I do not understand about this filter. Is there an explanation?

Thanks,
Rick

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Including stocks from top industry groups<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.