StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Inside bar trading<< >>Post Follow-up
alichambers
48 posts
msg #42928
Ignore alichambers
4/13/2006 10:11:10 AM

Dear all,

I've been using a purely technical trading system on the forex that utilises inside bars. I've had a good return from it. However, they system can also be used on stocks - and I'm planning to use stockfetcher to select stocks for me. SF looks great.

If you've never heard of inside bars, they are bars that have a high and a low less than the bar before. They look like this:

|
| |
| ^Inside bar

Their importance is that they reflect an area where the market is consolidating into a tight range of low volatility. The market always explodes out of a tight range - it's natural cycle is to go from low volatility to high volatility and back again.

Of course, the trick is to determine which of these inside bars are "significant" - ie. have the greatest chance of movement thereafter. This is where the system comes in. It uses inside bars at fibonacci levels, support/resistance, etc... Inside bars can be used on any financial instrument (futures, indexes, stocks, etc) and any time frame.

The URL is:
http://www.chambers-media.com/track/Inside_bar_trading.html

This may come across as a blatant advert. It is in one way. I own several trading systems (yes - I was looking for the "holy grail"), but I have stuck on this. I've been making a good return on the forex. I really like this system and recommend at least checking it out.

I am going to be using the system to scan for inside bar stocks in stockfetcher, so I'll keep you posted with the results and any stockfetcher scans I use. If anyone is interested, I'll post up buy and sells I do.

Alex Chambers

AfricaFund
18 posts
msg #42941
Ignore AfricaFund
4/13/2006 7:57:45 PM

It's called a Harami pattern in candlestick lingo, and I believe Stockfetcher allows you to filter for them.....

markcrisp
187 posts
msg #42980
Ignore markcrisp
4/16/2006 2:21:36 AM

Forex trading...

Can you give me your email?

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #42999
Ignore TheRumpledOne
modified
4/16/2006 1:59:01 PM

Fetcher[
/* inside bars filter */

/* enter your Upper Limit criteria Dynamic Resistance */
set{DynRes, High 5 Day High}

/* enter your Lower Limit criteria Dynamic Support */
set{DynSup, Low 5 Day Low}

set{LimDiff, DynRes minus DynSup }
set{PPDiff, CLOSE minus DynSup }
set{PPDiv, PPDiff / LimDiff}
set{FibLev, PPDiv * 100}

/* display columns */

and add column FibLev
and add column DynRes
and add column DynSup

and add column industry

/* enter your SELECTION criteria */

high < high 1 day ago
low > low 1 day ago

close above 5
volume above 500000

/* sort criteria */
sort column 5 descending
]

I added the dynamic support/resistance columns and the fib level.

HTH.

MAY ALL YOUR FILLS BE COMPLETE.

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #43000
Ignore TheRumpledOne
4/16/2006 2:06:26 PM

Fetcher[
/* inside bars filter display */

set{xTop, count(high < high 1 day ago , 1) }
set{xBot, count(low > low 1 day ago , 1) }
set{ibar, xTop + xBot}

/* display columns */

and add column ibar

and add column industry

/* enter your SELECTION criteria */

ibar equal 2
close above 5
volume above 1000000

/* sort criteria */
sort column 5 descending
]

Here's a filter display you can add to your filters.

When 1bar = 2, the stock had an inside bar.

You can display, sort and/or select using ibar.

HTH.

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #43002
Ignore TheRumpledOne
4/16/2006 2:13:08 PM

Alex:

Looking forward to your posts.

alichambers
48 posts
msg #42996
Ignore alichambers
modified
4/18/2006 4:41:54 AM

Mark - my email is:

dralexchambers(at)yahoo(dot)com

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Inside bar trading<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.