StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Interviews<< 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 41 >>Post Follow-up
four
5,087 posts
msg #136145
Ignore four
modified
6/1/2017 8:08:49 AM

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5ojf5f

Dr. Russell Barkley
ADHD
Intention Deficit Disorder

http://www.russellbarkley.org/factsheets/ADHD_EF_and_SR.pdf
http://www.russellbarkley.org/factsheets/ADHD_School_Accommodations.pdf

four
5,087 posts
msg #136176
Ignore four
6/4/2017 11:47:08 PM

https://research.valueline.com/screener/stock?predefinedScreenId=vl_smallCapHighYield

Value Line Screener

four
5,087 posts
msg #136222
Ignore four
6/6/2017 4:48:29 PM

https://www.fool.com/investing/2017/06/05/could-this-be-why-the-middle-class-is-disappearing.aspx

Gallup notes that only two types of individuals actually increased their stock ownership since 2008: those over the age of 65 (up 1% to 54%), and those households with annual incomes of $100,000 or more (up 1% to 89%). You'll note there's a very wide gap of 35 percentage points in terms of stock ownership between the average American (54%) and the upper-income individual (89%).

four
5,087 posts
msg #136249
Ignore four
modified
6/8/2017 8:43:02 AM

http://alphasecurecapital.com/about-us/

Our Commitment

Master traders are not smarter, they have smarter trading habits. We are committed to helping market participants build smarter trading habits.

Our Philosophy

Simplicity: complexity is a form of laziness. The privilege of simplicity is that it imposes itself, even to those who do not understand its sophistication
Universality: our tools are developed and validated across multiple asset classes and time-frames
Symmetry: our strategies are robust. They are developed and tested on the Short side then applied to the Long side
Capital Efficiency: is the product of compounding high probability small profits and the capital appreciation of long term holding
Trading Habits: we trade our habits. Great investors are not smarter, but they have smarter trading habits
About Laurent:

Laurent Bernut, Founder & CEO of ASC, has worked in the alternative investment space at Fidelity Investments, Rockampton, and Ward Ferry, for 14 years.
For the past 8 years at Fidelity, his mandate as a dedicated short seller was to underperform the longest bear market in modern history: Japan equities.
Laurent’s Research and Trading Systems to generate alpha in the alternative space has been built over 14 years based on the following experience and expertise:

Universally tested systematic trading process: All strategies developed over the last 5 years have been tested across sides (L/S) asset classes, time frames, and walk-forward analysis before being released into production. Current strategy has been in production since October 2012
Traded a range of asset classes: Traded equities, options (singles, index), Forex and ETFs
Consistent idea generation: consistently generated more high probability Long/Short ideas every day than can be traded
Generated alpha on the short side: He was the longest tenured dedicated short-seller at Fidelity. His mandate was to underperform the longest bear market in modern history: Japan equities
Risk management: He has built several portfolio management systems for multiple hedge funds over the last 12 years.
Solid psychological foundations: See our Research on trading psychology and affective neurosciences

four
5,087 posts
msg #136284
Ignore four
6/9/2017 4:11:55 PM

https://www.thestreet.com/story/769361/1/hedging-technique-opens-a-pandoras-box-of-tax-concerns.html

Tax considerations and a "hack" around ?

four
5,087 posts
msg #136286
Ignore four
6/9/2017 4:22:47 PM

http://www.tradestation.com/education/events/on-demand-webcasts/markets/options/strategy-building-blocks

Covered Calls

four
5,087 posts
msg #136293
Ignore four
6/10/2017 3:39:28 PM

https://explosiveoptions.net/options-trading-strategies/option-premium/

Explosive Options Trading Service

How To Capture Option Premium, By Suzie Smith, May 17, 2016

Interested in trading for income? In this three-part series for advanced traders, I will share with you the top methods I use to generate monthly returns for my clients. In my first post, I talked about directional and non directional trades. In my second, I discussed covered calls. In this third one, I’m looking at how to capture option premium. The two ideas we’ll focus on are the use of credit spreads on equities and the proper use of cash-backed short puts.

While reading this article, please keep in mind the objective: to capture premium that is way out of the money. Think of it as picking up dollars that someone left lying on the ground while the rest of the gang ran off to Vegas to play high stakes poker. Key elements to make this strategy work are to stay way out of the money on your options selections and properly size each trade to fit within your portfolio and risk parameters.

Let’s take a look at the two core strategies I use to capture premium and produce income in my clients’ portfolios.
Cash-Backed Puts

There are two reasons to sell cash backed puts or “naked short puts.” One is to try to gain entry into a stock at a certain price level. In this instance you sell the put at the strike of your choice, take in a credit for the premium and wait to see if you are assigned the stock. Once you are assigned the stock, you can begin writing calls against it (as described in my last article).

The second reason is to sell a way out of the money put with the intent of capturing the premium and never (hopefully) taking assignment of the stock. When selecting your option, look at the chart and determine the last low.

CMG Chart : May 17, 2016

Let’s use the Chipotle (CMG) chart above as an example. (Full disclosure: I am long CMG via calls and various bull put spreads.)

The stable base appears to be $400, so I would look at the options chains to determine what premium I can get for selling a front month. I’d then work my way up the options chain month by month to see how much premium I can get while staying as close to the $400 area as possible. In this instance, I have to go out to September 410’s. Doing the math, I am tying up $40,000 in margin while taking in a $1,490 credit, which gives me a 4% return on my money. This rate of return tells me two things: 1) find a lower priced stock, and 2) look to trade CMG using a different strategy (keep reading). I ask myself, “Am I OK with holding 100 shares of CMG stock at $410?” If not, this strategy is not for me.

The ideal setup is to find a stock that has made a recent relative low and proven that the low is going to hold. I’d then sell the put while the volatility is still high. Remember – we like to sell high volatility and buy low volatility.

It is very important to adhere to position sizing when selling naked short puts. Never sell more than you would mind taking assignment on at the strike you sell. Remember that you can be “put” the stock at any time, not just at the monthly expiry. Always assume you could be put the stock at any time.
Bull Put Spreads

A bull put spread is a bullish strategy that provides profits when the underlying stock stays stagnant or rises. When written as a spread, it has a clearly defined potential gain and loss. The gain is the premium collected on the trade, and the total risk is the spread less the credit collected. To further ratchet down risk, I suggest the use of stops (100% of the premium collected). So for our CMG play, if I take in a credit of $3 I will stop out at $6.

Staying with CMG: We have already sold short one put. To create a spread, we simply buy one long put, which creates a vertical bull put spread. This will alleviate the huge margin requirement to trade this stock via the short put method, and it will still allow us to stay within our trading parameters. When writing bull put spreads, you sell the higher strike put and buy the lower strike put, all with the intent of staying out of the money and as close to front month as you can get (time decay is your friend on this strategy).

For CMG, I can sell the May monthly 440/420 (sell the 440 put and buy the 420 put) for a credit of $1.32. Doing the math, we take the premium 132/2000 (margin used) = 7% return on your money in 5 trading days. All we are concerned about is that CMG stays above $440 by the close next Friday.

Now I’ll look at the next expiry of May 27. I can sell the same bull put spread for $2.42, which gives me a 12% return on my money. 242/2000 = 12% (assuming I hold the spread down to zero through expiration). Selling a 10 lot of these would bring in an income of $1,320 for the first trade and $2,420 for the second trade – not too shabby for such a short timeframe.

In either trade we use to capture option premium (the naked short put or the bull put spread), I would look to exit at an 80% profit target.

As always, respect position sizes and don’t overload your portfolio with one name. The market is a very fickle environment. Even trades that seem super easy can turn on a dime, so trade nimbly and carefully.

If you would like more information on my portfolio management services please contact me at suz at investsps dot com.

Copyright: mblach / 123RF Stock Photo

© Aztec Capital LLC

four
5,087 posts
msg #136294
Ignore four
6/10/2017 3:43:50 PM

https://explosiveoptions.net/options-trading-strategies/covered-calls/

Covered Call

Interested in trading for income? In this three-part series for advanced traders, I will share with you the top methods I use to generate monthly returns for my clients. In this post, we’ll discuss covered calls. (Check out my first post on how to use directional and non directional trades).

Covered calls are often the first foray into an investor’s option trading experience. For our example, the structure of a covered call is to buy 100 shares of stock and sell one call against the stock, taking in a credit or “premium” for the option sold. Trading covered calls requires a margin account due to the option component involved. Remember, we don’t trade stocks on margin as that is akin to gambling using credit cards as your backing.

The purpose of the covered call can be twofold. You can sell the call to create an additional income stream on a long term position that you don’t want called away, or you can create a covered call position that is designed to call away at a certain time and date. (To demystify some terminology: Selling a call against stock is also called a buy-write. Selling an option can also be called “writing” an option against stock.)

In the first instance, option selection is pretty easy. You would select a call that is out of the money and that you can still get decent premium for. Look at the chart of your stock and determine the maximum high you think it will achieve and sell a call above that. This is one way I create extra income for my clients.

Exxon Mobile (XOM) is one of my favorite long term holdings. I currently have the October 95 calls sold against my common position. I have been selling calls against this for years. Each time it technically “lowers” my cost basis even though it does not show an adjusted lower basis on the screen. You may not get much as far as percentage gains when you are trying to cover a stock that you don’t want called away, but each transaction creates a little more profit that adds up quickly over the months.

If you do not have a core stock holding, you may consider buying your favorite dividend paying ETF, like the XLE, and selling upside calls against your holding. In this case, you are getting possible capital appreciation, a dividend, and options premium. This approach has two benefits: You are able to target specific sectors, and it is unlikely that you will wake up with an entire index down 50% overnight. A disadvantage is that ETF’s offer lower premium as compared to individual stocks. I would highly discourage using the covered call strategy on double and triple or inverse ETF’s.

Some would consider writing calls against stock as a defensive measure, and they would be correct. A prudent investor is always seeking ways to protect against adverse price moves, and this is one way to do it.

My favorite way of trading covered calls is to produce a fixed income by a certain date and time. I have a “stable” of stocks that I am very familiar with, and I use them over and over to sell calls against. I use a covered call worksheet that enables me to predetermine my downside risk, targeted gains if called, and annualized return. My goal in the trade setup is to find a stock that will give me at least a 7% return if called with at least 10% downside protection, and its chart must have numbers close to a major moving average (which would act as a support in case of adverse market conditions).

The sweet spot in premium for covered calls are generally those trading between $15-$60, as they give a mid-size portfolio the ability to hold enough shares to make a difference in the profit and loss column without taking on too much risk.

As always we start with the chart. For this exercise I chose FitBit (FIT) to structure my covered call. Let’s put the math on the chart:

FIT:

Price per share @ entry: $ 18.03
Option Expiration Date: August 19, 2016
Option Strike: $19.00
Premium (price rec’d for covered call): $2.25
Targeted Gain Per Share: $2.25- (18.03-19.00) = $3.22
Breakeven: (18.03-2.25) = $15.78

Now look at the chart:

FitBit chart: May 2, 2016

Entering this trade puts you in close proximity of support, which is the 50 day moving average and the bottom Bollinger band. Remember, the bands contain 95% of all price action so it is unlikely that this stock would deviate out of the bands and stay there. So, we have our targeted gain per share of $3.22 per call or $322.00 per contract. Your downside protection at entry is price per share/premium rec’d for call ($2.25/$18.03) = 12.5%, which fits within our criteria. The maximum gain ($19.00-$18.03)+$2.25/$18.03 = 17.9% also fits within our criteria, so it is a good candidate for our covered call portfolio.

The final step in the covered call purchase after entry is patience. You sit with the trade and do not tinker with it, only monitoring the chart to ensure it does not go below the breakeven stock price. Patience is key here. Let the stock do its work ,and if it calls away, be happy with your gains and look to write it again. If it does not call away, you simply sell another call against it and repeat the process.

I’ve given the example here of entering the trade as a complete covered call. You may alternately enter a stock at a support level, wait for a rise in the stock, and then sell calls against your stock, as you may be able to get a higher premium for your calls that way.

If you would like more information on my portfolio management services please contact me at suz at investsps dot com.

four
5,087 posts
msg #136304
Ignore four
6/12/2017 1:20:34 AM

http://wolfstreet.com/2017/06/09/big-tech-stocks-come-unglued/

What to make of it? This move shows just how nervous the market has gotten at these nosebleed valuations.

This morning, perennially money-losing and cash-bleeding Tesla had a valuation of $60 billion, a company that sells so few cars that it disappears as a rounding error in the 1.52 million new vehicles sold in the US in May. It’s not even on the scale. Yet folks, now waffling about solar panels too and still waiting for the miracle that has been promised for a decade, think it’s worth nearly $60 billion? The market is currently full of these kinds of crazy valuations. And everyone wants to pick up the last nickel in front of that steamroller they already see coming. So their hands get a little twitchy.

four
5,087 posts
msg #136426
Ignore four
6/17/2017 10:33:52 PM

http://www.kiplinger.com/slideshow/investing/T018-S001-25-big-stocks-raising-dividends-for-25-years/index.html

Identify reliable dividend stocks by concentrating on the Dividend Aristocrats, 50 companies in Standard & Poor's 500-stock index that have hiked their dividends every year for at least 25 consecutive years. Since size, longevity and familiarity can provide comfort amid market uncertainty, here are the 25 biggest Dividend Aristocrats by market capitalization. Dominated by household names, the list is a good starting point to find high-quality companies for your long-term portfolio.

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Interviews<< 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 41 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.