StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Interviews<< 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 ... 41 >>Post Follow-up
pthomas215
1,251 posts
msg #137887
Ignore pthomas215
8/30/2017 11:01:39 AM

Sentiment Speaks: XIV - It's Happening Again

Michael Golembesky
Michael Golembesky
Currencies, newsletter provider, medium-term horizon, long/short equity
Elliott Wave Trader

Summary

Recent price action

After falling 26% from the July 8th high the XIV has seen a retrace and is now trading 15% up off of the August 8th low. The smaller degree wave structure of the move up off of that low has been very sloppy and has already provided quite a few twists and turns.

This type of action was not entirely unexpected as this is what we expect when we are within what we call in Elliott Wave terms a “Fourth Wave”. I noted this last week when I wrote that, “Fourth waves are some of the more difficult patterns to project and typically requires traders to be nimble…”

We may, however, be close to the point where we will once again see some clean and tradable setups coming our way in the XIV.

In 2015 I read an article discussing how the XIV was "The #1 stock in the world". That article was published on June 8th of 2015 and generated quite a bit of interest and discussion at the time of its publication. 15 days later on June 23rd of 2015, the XIV topped and proceed to lose 69% of its value over the course of the next 6 months. During that same time period, the Dow Jones Industrial Average lost just 15% of its value. Furthermore, it took the XIV 1 ½ years and 233% in gains to recover the losses that were incurred during that move lower in the XIV.

On Monday, August 28th of this year, The New York Times published an article highlighting the exploits of a trader who is said to have turned $500,000 into 12 million Dollars. It was reported that this was done over the past five years by shorting the VIX through various Exchange Traded Notes. Apparently, this trader is now attempting to start a Hedge Fund to raise $100 million dollars using the same short VIX strategy.

The important part of these stories is not the content of the story, but rather the story itself. Seeing articles extolling the virtues of the XIV (shorting Volatility) on their own is certainly not enough to make trading decisions based upon. The interest generated in these articles does provide additional evidence that Sentiment levels are reaching an extreme.

So whether or not this current New York Times publication will prove to foretell the future of the XIV is still yet to be seen. It does, however, fit quite nicely with the topping pattern that we have been watching in the XIV for quite some time.

My primary expectation remains that the XIV should still see lower levels prior to once again seeing new highs over the 96.91 level. Ideally, I would prefer to see the XIV move back over the August 15th high prior to topping; I am however more focused on the larger degree Fibonacci resistance zone at this point in time. This resistance zone currently comes in at the 83.07-93.56 zone. As long as the XIV can hold under that zone, then the pattern is still suggestive that there still will be lower levels seen in before the XIV can once again find a long term bottom.

I will certainly be looking for opportunities to trade Volatility to the long side (short XIV) in the coming days and weeks. I have not however lost focus on the bigger picture and the fact that the XIV still likely has at least one final leg higher prior to seeing a larger degree top. This is a move that I certainly am looking to participate in. I would want to see the XIV show some bottoming signals while holding support prior establishing any longer term positions on the long XIV side. Until that time comes I will continue to remain nimble looking for shorter term trades as the XIV works its way through this fourth wave pattern into the fall.

Disclosure: I/we have no positions in any stocks mentioned, but may initiate a long position in VXX over the next 72 hours.

four
5,087 posts
msg #137957
Ignore four
modified
9/3/2017 11:38:49 PM

four
5,087 posts
msg #138026
Ignore four
9/7/2017 3:44:05 PM

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2017-09-07/down-240-million-on-his-seven-year-short-a-china-bear-gives-in

Mark Hart spent seven years and $240 million waiting on a crash in China’s currency.

four
5,087 posts
msg #138072
Ignore four
9/9/2017 12:25:43 AM

https://pensionpartners.com/put-these-charts-on-your-wall/

They say a picture is worth a thousand words but in investing it is worth so much more. Having a few extreme charts on your wall can be a helpful reminder that there is no such thing as “can’t,” “won’t,” or “has to” in markets. The market doesn’t have to do anything, and certainly not what you think it should do. The market doesn’t abide by any hard and fast rules; it does what it wants to do – when it wants to do it.

Charlie Bilello is the Director of Research at Pension Partners, LLC, an investment advisor that manages mutual funds and separate accounts. He is the co-author of four award-winning research papers on market anomalies and investing. Mr. Bilello is responsible for strategy development, investment research and communicating the firm’s investment themes and portfolio positioning to clients. Prior to joining Pension Partners, he was the Managing Member of Momentum Global Advisors and previously held positions as a Credit, Equity and Hedge Fund Analyst at billion dollar alternative investment firms.

Mr. Bilello holds a J.D. and M.B.A. in Finance and Accounting from Fordham University and a B.A. in Economics from Binghamton University. He is a Chartered Market Technician (CMT) and a Member of the Market Technicians Association. Mr. Bilello also holds the Certified Public Accountant (CPA) certificate.

four
5,087 posts
msg #138083
Ignore four
9/9/2017 11:59:01 PM

Peter Schiff: How to Profit on Next Recession

four
5,087 posts
msg #138086
Ignore four
9/10/2017 11:29:02 AM

Qualcomm, Inc. (QCOM) Unveils Cellular Vehicle-to-Everything Chip
Sep 8, 2017, 1:30 pm EDT | By Zacks Equity Research, Zacks Investment Research

Leading wireless chipset manufacturer, Qualcomm Inc.’s (NASDAQ:QCOM) subsidiary, Qualcomm Technologies, has unveiled a new chipset — the C-V2X (Cellular Vehicle-to-Everything).

Qualcomm, Inc. (QCOM) Unveils Cellular Vehicle-to-Everything Chip
Source: Maurizio Pesce Via Flickr

The 9150 C-V2X chipset is compatible with 4G and budding 5G cellular standards to send messages between vehicles and infrastructure.

Furthermore, the chip is designed for short-range vehicle direct communications as it uses the 5.9GHz spectrum to connect Vehicle-to-Vehicle, Vehicle-to-Infrastructure and Vehicle-to-Pedestrian, thus improving situational awareness.

davesaint86
725 posts
msg #138113
Ignore davesaint86
9/11/2017 8:49:33 PM

IRA Epstein - End of the Day Financial Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSiJ2KSj2Is

four
5,087 posts
msg #138216
Ignore four
modified
9/17/2017 10:11:10 PM

four
5,087 posts
msg #138387
Ignore four
9/26/2017 1:45:36 PM

http://www.mro-network.com/airlines/british-airways-using-remote-controlled-electric-tugs-heathrow

Free Tug Consulting

four
5,087 posts
msg #138393
Ignore four
modified
9/27/2017 1:53:41 AM

Certain emerging market currencies are ripe for growth, so we've combined the Brazilian real, Chinese renminbi, Indian rupee, Indonesian rupiah, and Turkish lira into our latest MarketSafe CD. Through this indexed and U.S. dollar-denominated CD, you have the opportunity to earn a potential market upside payment of seven times the CD’s performance at maturity, with no cap, if the equally-weighted currencies gain1, and should they decrease in value, you're totally covered with 100% protection of your deposited principal.2

$1,500 to open
100% protection of deposited principal2
Potential market upside payment of seven times the CD performance at maturity, with no cap1
FDIC insured2
IRA eligible
CD term sheet -
https://www.everbank.com/~/media/_docs/marketsafe/emerging-currencies/2017-09.pdf

Keep in mind, returns are based on CD performance—no Annual Percentage Yield or periodic rate of interest is paid on the CD, and OID reporting rules apply.3

https://www.everbank.com/investing/marketsafe/emerging-currencies?referID=13088&cm_mmc=13088-_-undefined-_-NA-_-NA

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Interviews<< 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 ... 41 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.