StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Laptop computer question using SF<< >>Post Follow-up
glgene
613 posts
msg #101456
Ignore glgene
7/6/2011 2:20:48 PM

Am updating my old 15.6 notebook computer with a newer model (either a 15.6" screen or 17.0" screen).

Question: Does a 17-inch screen provide room for more columns of data on a full screen (vs. a 15.6" screen), or is there simply more space between the columns on a 17-inch screen?

Any other considerations I should consider between a 15.6" and 17.0" screens?

Thanks!

Rick67
64 posts
msg #101463
Ignore Rick67
modified
7/6/2011 6:56:07 PM

Yes a 17" screen can provide more columns. The key is the screen resolution. You can change the resolution to suite your needs. The higher the resolution, the smaller the font and the more columns you can get.

Have a computer salesman demostrate the resolution when you look them over.

In fact it might even be possible to increase the resolution on your old laptop to get more columns. Look to change it in the Control Panel. It's a simple thing to do.

glgene
613 posts
msg #101474
Ignore glgene
7/7/2011 10:54:58 AM

Thanks, Rick.

The info on the two notebook computers I'm considering has the default resolution as follows:

15.6" .... 1366 x 768

17.0" .... 1600 x 900

On surface, it would seem the 17-inch screen, at 1600 wide, would offer more space for columns than 1366 wide.

But sometimes when I try to use logic, it doesn't always work out that way. That's why I previously asked if a 17-inch screen would offer more columns on the screen (using StockFetcher) or if it would just leave more rooms between the same number of columns. I don't want to assume either; that's why I asked for help.

???

Gene

Rick67
64 posts
msg #101489
Ignore Rick67
7/7/2011 8:15:21 PM

yes, you will get more columns.

You can sometimes change the default to an even higher resolution as long as it is not too small for you.

Rick

glgene
613 posts
msg #101576
Ignore glgene
7/11/2011 11:03:29 PM

FYI: I ended up buying a 17" HP notebook, with 1600 x 900 resolution. With more width space, the column heads aren't so bunched up). I tend to max. out on adding columns.

Gene

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Laptop computer question using SF<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.