StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Maximum Position Size<< >>Post Follow-up
heyen
124 posts
msg #42038
Ignore heyen
3/14/2006 4:54:52 PM

At what position size in relation to daily volume are partial fills to be expected?

I usualy trade to active times (open/close) and havent had problems yet - never holding more than .5% of daily traded volume.
Today I received a partial fill of a limit order - not too tragic, filled the rest a minute later as market order.
I have found out how to spot the most advancing stock under my filter result, which will receive a larger position size than the rest.
What should be the maximum size at a daily volume of - lets say 1,500.000 shares?

greenbacksclub
10 posts
msg #42054
Ignore greenbacksclub
3/14/2006 10:15:55 PM

does your broker let you trade all or none?

heyen
124 posts
msg #42083
Ignore heyen
3/15/2006 2:17:38 PM

Im using IB, got some more partial fills today... never found all-or-none in the order options of the TWS, but hey, made 7.96% yesterday and 14.11% until now today, so i guess i better quit worrying :-)
I closed half of the position (MVIS)... better safe than sorry. And no bad speaking of my RSI(7)<20 Filter anymore please!

But seriously, when am I to expect problems of execution? I mean 6 1/2 trading hours with 60 minutes makes 390 minutes. Lets say at opening and closing its way more volume, so 1% - .5% of volume traded per minute sounds realistic. I guess i shouldnt go higher than 1% of daily volume in position size?

Hey greenbacksclub, have you had any problems yet?

drew9
171 posts
msg #42085
Ignore drew9
3/15/2006 3:13:00 PM

There is really no way to answer your question as every stock has different supply at every price. You are obviously using limit orders and you are getting filled at the quantity that is left at that particular price. You said it yourself that you got 100% filled at the market order - and you always will. Just do not know at what price! With Limit Orders, if you have access to Level 2 you can look at the quantity available at that price. This can be a guide as you will always get at least that amount. There could be more supply available as many brokers now allow hidden orders so it is not always visible. Perhaps allow an extra penny or two on your limit orders and you should get filled most of the time!

Regards,

Drew

rtucker
318 posts
msg #42103
Ignore rtucker
modified
3/15/2006 8:59:17 PM

d

greenbacksclub
10 posts
msg #42105
Ignore greenbacksclub
3/15/2006 9:29:25 PM

I trade options and have been passed up on a trade or two in the past, but thats all part of the game... right?

heyen
124 posts
msg #42116
Ignore heyen
3/16/2006 2:31:58 AM

Thank you for your feedback.

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Maximum Position Size<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.