StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Moving Average filter<< >>Post Follow-up
ferndog
1 posts
msg #101713
Ignore ferndog
7/18/2011 11:52:02 PM

I know prices are delayed but i'm looking for stocks that close above or below just one moving avg....MA can be a sma or ema. So for example when the market is open i would like to scan for stocks that are touching a moving avg so i can monitor real time and see if the stock closes above or below that MA. I like to get into short term trades when a stock closes above or below a moving avg on the same day but all i have seen here is when a stock is moving above or below the MA but only for the last few days. That's too late for me because price already has moved past the MA. I need it the same day or at least after the market closes but not days later. thanks for any help

four
5,087 posts
msg #101714
Ignore four
modified
7/19/2011 12:42:24 AM

"I like to get into short term trades when a stock closes above or below a moving avg on the same day"

Fetcher[
close > ma(24)
low < ma(24)

close > 50
Close < 100

volume between 725000 and 975000
]

duke56468
683 posts
msg #101715
Ignore duke56468
7/19/2011 10:09:53 AM

Garsworld.com has intra day screeners.

decipherlinda
133 posts
msg #101810
Ignore decipherlinda
7/26/2011 12:26:36 AM

An alternative to Four's option:

Close crossed above MA(10) from below
or
Close crossed below MA(10) from above

Both Fours code and this one will pick up stocks from either their Open or from their Low of the day, whichever is lowest.

I like to add a volume strength indicator to whittle the list down to the highest potential moves if trading with real time during the day:

VolStrong > 1 ("1" is hard to meet early in the day but will pick up the strongest performers at that time.
You can look at stocks you would have liked to pick up and see what number would
)

Set{VolStrong, volume / average volume(10)}

Add column VolStrong

Another option I like to use to find the stocks most likely to move up the most with this filter is ATR(5).

Add column ATR(5) --- You can try other ATR time frame options

Either set a filter phrase like "ATR > 2.0" Etc. or sort your results by the ATR's of the stocks.

On an incredibly small sample size, I tested this filter on today's results (7/26/11) and found an 81% correlation with the difference between the (Close - Open) and the ATR(5) value.

decipherlinda
133 posts
msg #101811
Ignore decipherlinda
7/26/2011 12:29:20 AM

Accidentally hit "Post Message"!

You can try various VolStrong criteria such as .85, etc. instead of "1" as suits your personal style.

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Moving Average filter<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.