Does anyone trade news beside TA?
What is your experience?

stocktrader
294 posts
msg #43473
Ignore stocktrader
5/4/2006 8:28:19 PM

Sometimes.

I have streaming news on my trading platform from dow jones and others.

Streaming is done from 3 windows on my flat panels. Two news source windows are loaded automatically from any symbol I might select so that I get the latest news. The third news source window is streaming all news regardless of symbols that are loaded into my symbol lists (SF). Any new news associated with symbols that I have loaded into the platform will automatically be highlighted in yellow to alert me.

I've traded off this to some success, but usually when the news comes out, the insiders already know.

Before making an entry I always look at the streaming news to see if there is something to help in driving it up (or down).

Here's the setup:

http://www.loombo.com/dl/6119

heyen
124 posts
msg #43480
Ignore heyen
modified
5/5/2006 8:02:12 AM

Some News at 9 cause gap ups, some come in the middle of the day.
Nasdaq.com's most active are regularly among earning reports.

When news come out, is the response immediately, delayed or are the
news delayed? (i.e. http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/category/topics.asp?topic=TOPIC_EARNINGS_RESULTS&iSub=1 )

You've got a neat platform, not like my IB TWS which is slow, unstable and anything but handy.

EWZuber
1,373 posts
msg #43559
Ignore EWZuber
5/8/2006 5:04:15 PM

heyen, you find IB TWS to be unstable? In what way?

heyen
124 posts
msg #43561
Ignore heyen
modified
5/8/2006 5:42:06 PM

yes, when i run other java progs, the machine often hangs.
charts are a pain, they take many seconds to open. the more, the worse.
chart trading is a pain. Studies are a pain, they take forever to draw.
And they are ugly! No color definitions I believe. Multiple Charts are hell!
I'm not using an old celeron... I have an AMD 3000+ Sempron Laptop with 1GB Ram.

Since last TWS update it opens with an empty window - have to minimize & maximize to see the open positions. The only thing that works is the ActiveX API.

EWZuber, you are using IB too? Commissions are fine on 500+ shares. (0,2%!)

glm47
51 posts
msg #43564
Ignore glm47
5/8/2006 9:07:26 PM

Use IB with Quotetracker. It won't cost you anything to try it and you'll probably love it once you get comfortable with everything.

http://www.quotetracker.com/

EWZuber
1,373 posts
msg #43569
Ignore EWZuber
5/9/2006 3:56:27 AM

heyen, yes I've been using IB for a few years now and I like it a lot. I run anywhere from 3 to 20 intraday charts on IB sometimes up to three or four are 5 minute charts. Also run BigCharts which is JAVA based and I don't have any real trouble with it. My internet connection is about as bad as it gets, a multiplexed phone line gets me 26.4 Kbps tops. I'm using an Asus MB w/AMD 2600 Sempron, 500 MB Ram on a 400 MHz FSB.
The only complaint I have about the charts is when I go to refresh an Hourly Chart it invariably refreshes other Hourly Charts and then I have to re-click on the one I want.
Trendlines seem to work fine, however if they are steep you need to compensate a tad.
Charts are color enhanced though. A couple things I would like to see changed, one, I would like to see a more defined candlestick body and, two, they need to be able to display a longer duration. Five days on an Hourly Chart just doesn't cut it. Need ten days minimum, but they are free so I don't complain.

Maybe you got a bad download on the latest TWS update. I will be downloading it tonight.
You know that you can retrieve settings from restore points on the TWS page.

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · News Trading<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.