StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Personal web page<< 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9 >>Post Follow-up
Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #103543
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
11/30/2011 2:23:24 PM

End of month, and therefore a good time to look at these systems. I have posted an update for each (will finalize at the end of trading today, but the results are pretty clear). Also updated the pairs trading section with a compiled list of pairs as well as the criteria for selection and trading (see post above). I'll be tracking these mechanically as we go forward.

For some reason I'm unable to update the blog portion of the site, or add new blogs. Hopefully this will get fixed soon.

mahkoh
1,065 posts
msg #103599
Ignore mahkoh
12/3/2011 6:15:51 PM

Excellent website, Kevin.
I notice that you pair stocks from different sectors, doesn't this make the system vulnerable to sector risk?
Also curious on how you calculate the cointegration value and whether you make use of Stockfetcher in selecting trade opportunities.

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #103600
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
12/3/2011 7:10:12 PM

mahkoh
107 posts
msg #103599
- Ignore mahkoh 12/3/2011 6:15:51 PM

Excellent website, Kevin.
I notice that you pair stocks from different sectors, doesn't this make the system vulnerable to sector risk?
Also curious on how you calculate the cointegration value and whether you make use of Stockfetcher in selecting trade opportunities.
++++

I do pair from different sectors here, and that is a concern for exactly the reason you suggest. However, these stocks are highly cointegrated, highly correlated, and when traded this way return an 80+% win rate over the past two years. I figure with that type of historical behavior the cross-sector risk is mitigated. Besides, most of the sectors are now highly correlated in behavior anyway.

Cointegration was calculated using a new program called Pair Metrics (www.pairmetrics.com). NIce software but still needs some further refinement. Free trial for 30 days - feel free to check it out.

Stockfetcher is used for the nightly values - the TAA scores and rankings, and the XLU-XLI performance. I still wish SF would give us monthly data ... it would be a real help.

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #103608
Ignore TheRumpledOne
12/4/2011 10:29:50 AM

Yes, monthly data and correct weekly open price.

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #103791
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
modified
12/14/2011 10:02:28 PM

Website updated.

Most recent data on all systems in place, including the pairs trades.

----------------------------------------------------------------

ceebee
20 posts
msg #103806
Ignore ceebee
12/15/2011 11:54:06 AM

Fantastic work.....thanks for sharing

MarkS
10 posts
msg #103901
Ignore MarkS
12/20/2011 6:35:06 PM

Kevin,

If I understand correctly, your TAA system uses basic rank or specifically for SF ROC(). I have done the same thing rather extensively in the past, especially with mutual funds (prior to them becoming so restrictive in trading rules). My results were usually pretty solid, but had a tendency to not do well when the market is highly volatile like it has been this year. That is most likely due to the lag inherent in this system not trying to catch the absolute bottoms and tops. Basically, it is a momentum indicator.

Have you tested ROC() against some of the other momentum indicators? Maybe against Slope including non-linear and quadratic.

Have you done any contrarian testing with the system? Instead of taking the top ranked, use the bottom ranked. The assumption being that whatever is at the bottom will eventually move to the top. That may actually work well in a choppy market.

I have a variation on ROC that I think there are some good arguments for why it is better. I am also looking at a variation on the variation which I believe could be even better, if the arguments are valid for the first variation.

OK, I know that is a little vague, but I don't want to share it just yet. If you are interested, I may present it here. If you are happy with ROC, I would rather not share it though. At least not until I can do more extensive testing myself. That will mean either upgrading my SF account or I am currently looking at another testing system that I can get a 30-day demo on. I just need to make sure I have enough time to take full advantage of that demo period.

Mark

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #103904
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
12/20/2011 10:46:53 PM

Mark:

I looked at a series of momentum-based indicators using StrataSearch (www.stratasearch.com). I still have not found anything as simple and profitable as the ROC. Like everything in life, the key is in the timing.

Check out StrataSearch - fully functional and free for the first 30 days. Great at finding and optimizing systems, and a very good backtesting capability as well.

Happy to discuss this in more detail - just send me a note through the web page and I'll give you some more details on what I have looked at.

MarkS
10 posts
msg #103925
Ignore MarkS
12/21/2011 7:57:32 PM

Kevin,

I sent a rather lengthy reply through your website. Let me know if it did not go through.

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #103953
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
12/22/2011 3:47:58 PM

Mark: Got your note. This approach is testable in Stratasearch, but I'm not sure it will beat what I am currently doing for both ease of use and profitability.

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Personal web page<< 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.