StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Question to Canadian Traders<< >>Post Follow-up
timfor
17 posts
msg #72302
Ignore timfor
3/9/2009 1:38:42 PM

Hello,

I'm hoping there is a fellow Canuck on this forum who can help me out.

I currently trade with ETrade Canada using their Axis Pro trading software.

I think this software isn't the best but more importantly, ETrade Canada doesn't enable all of the functionality of the software and this is driving me nuts. TradeFreedom Canada also uses Axis Pro but they too don't have all the functionality of the software enabled. Why? I can only surmise that it probably costs them more to license the software.

I've heard that Interactive Brokers is good, but I'm not clear on whether or not I can trade US stocks on margin (both short and long) with them as a Canadian.

Further, there is some particular functionality that I'm looking for and I'm not sure if any of Canadian (assuming they allow Canadians to use their product) Interactive Broker (IB) clients can tell me if this functionality exists on the IB trading platform.

Here is the specific functionality I'm looking for using a short sale as an example:

When I'm short on a stock and I want to be able to cover the position quickly, I want to be able to use a keyboard shortcut to close the position within a user definable limit (say, .05 cents above the best ask price). In other words, let's say the stock I want to cover has a current best ask price of $25.00 a share. I want to be able to hit a keyboard shortcut that would put in a buy/cover order at the best ask price ($25.00) plus .05 cents ($25.05) to ensure (I hope!) that I get the short position covered at no more then $25.05 a share.

Thanks in advance to any Canadian using IB (again, assuming Canadians can use their product) who can help me out with this request.

Tim

Stratplan
1 posts
msg #160852
Ignore Stratplan
2/8/2024 11:35:02 PM

"I've heard that Interactive Brokers is good, but I'm not clear on whether or not I can trade US stocks on margin (both short and long) with them as a Canadian."

The answer is "Yes you can". I am Canadian and trade US Stocks on margin with no problems using Interactive Brokers

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Question to Canadian Traders<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.