StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · RSI vs. ERSI<< >>Post Follow-up
glgene
613 posts
msg #36866
Ignore glgene
7/12/2005 10:49:51 AM

Has anybody here done much work with ERSI (that stands for the Exponential Moving Average of RSI)? Seems to make sense, in that it eliminates some of the noise in RSI. What is a good EMA of the RSI? I've tinkered with the following, but I've only just begun:

ERSI(14,7)
ERSI(14,5)

The 7 and 5 represent the EMA. The 14 is the RSI. An example:

Show stocks where ERSI(14,5) crossed above 45
and draw RSI(14)

The StockFetcher definition of ERSI, and another example, are shown below.

GL Gene

-----------------------------------------
stockfetcher 6/17/2003 4:20:07 PM
ersi
---------------------------------
Parameters RSIPeriod
EMAPeriod
Usage ersi(15,7)

Description The ersi uses the values from an exponential moving average (EMA) as input to the RSI computation. On StockFetcher, the first parameter of the ersi represents the period used for the RSI computation and the second parameter is the period of the EMA used as input. By using EMA values as input, the ersi will be less volatile than the standard RSI.

Examples
Fetcher[Show stocks where the ersi(15,7) is below 30]

glgene
613 posts
msg #36897
Ignore glgene
7/13/2005 11:16:58 AM

I know that RSI(14) is the default setting for a lot of investors. But I also read that RSI(9) and RSI(25) are popular alternative choices. Thus, I experimented with the following:

ERSI(9,5). RSI(9) by itself would generate a lot of whipsaws, but with the 5-day smoothing, it certainly eliminates many of those whipsaws. I'm going to keep experimenting with other settings, and I hope others do the same and report their findings here. Let's help each other.

GL Gene

corsino
259 posts
msg #36909
Ignore corsino
7/13/2005 5:44:36 PM

Gl gene
I posted a filter a few days ago in the Public Filters topic,using ERSI(3,7), RSI (2)and COG. Other than it, I haven't seen other filters using ERSI. I used ERSI (3,7) because it seemed to give good results, but I haven't spent a lot of time with other numbers.

four
5,087 posts
msg #114670
Ignore four
7/28/2013 2:17:34 PM

just playing with ideas...

Fetcher[
ersi(15,3) below 25
avgvol(10) > 321321
ersi(3,5) 1 day ago below 10
ersi(3,5) above 15
close > 10
add column annual dividend yield
offset 1
]

Mactheriverrat
3,135 posts
msg #114682
Ignore Mactheriverrat
7/29/2013 2:16:51 AM

I use RSI(2) as its crossed above 70 and above for short term profits

ADM using the RSI(2).

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · RSI vs. ERSI<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.