StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Realtime Gap Scan<< 1 2 3 >>Post Follow-up
klynn55
747 posts
msg #99788
Ignore klynn55
3/20/2011 2:22:40 AM

taylorsk: would you mind going through your progression, what filter do you use first? second, third?

taylorsk
106 posts
msg #99789
Ignore taylorsk
3/20/2011 10:02:46 AM

No Problem.

1st - on the weekend I build a watchlist based on all stocks that showed up on the first filter in the last week(mon-fri).

I adjust the average day range % until I find the one that returns about 20 stocks. This week that % is 5. adjust value etc. as you please

Fetcher[
volume above 1000000
and Average Volume(30)is above 1000000
and the average day range(20) is above 5%
close is between 25 and 150
add column average day range(20)
add column high
add column low
sort column 1
]

THis week that returned the following list.
APKT
ARUN
CDE
FTO
GMCR
HOC
JKS
MCP
NOG
NXPI
OAS
OVTI
RBCN
RVBD
SGY
SINA
TSL
TSO
YOKU

2nd I check every day the following long filter. any stocks that show on this filter I will have charts and orders ready at the open using TRO's buy zone. If the stocks dont gap I dont trade. I will give priority to stocks that are top 5 in the appropriate gap up or gap down categories in the exel sheet I posted. I usually use the

apply to watchlist

line in the filter, but dont think that it would work when posting to this public forum.

Fetcher[
close is more than 2% above high 1 day ago
close is above the open today
low today is below high 1 day ago
]

I also run the opposite filter for shorts. The short filter has come in handy with the recent volatility. as noted shorts from that list on Friday for this monday include RVBD, TSL, APKT and JKS.

Some may think this is too simple, but to me that is the beauty...I am not an indicator guy at all. Tried them, confused by them and ultimately they are all based on price in some way anyway.

As I stated, This is the process I am comfortable with. By no means is it the only way to play. I tried many many methods, but was never comfortable and thus not very successfull until I started trading this way. It took me about 4 years to figure out what I wanted to do.

TRO Milk the Cows, Fade The Gap and Buy Zone theories are the basis for this. I have tinked with them just a bit to really fit my personality and style. The purpose here is not to show off, but more to show the process to find what works for me.....study and try things until you find the method that is right for you. You will know it when you find it. If this method makes sense to you and it helps you trade in some way then I am glad to throw my 2 cents in.

klynn55
747 posts
msg #99793
Ignore klynn55
3/20/2011 6:57:52 PM

taylor: thank you for the explain,makes sense to me...

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #99802
Ignore TheRumpledOne
3/21/2011 8:30:56 AM

Nice work, taylorsk.

3gwealth
2 posts
msg #100666
Ignore 3gwealth
5/9/2011 4:25:16 PM

Hey taylorsk, do you trade the penny stocks using this set up or are you trading a specific $ range. Also,can you put up the opposite filter you use to short the gaps.

taylorsk
106 posts
msg #100668
Ignore taylorsk
5/9/2011 6:52:13 PM

Sure thing.

I dont trade the penny's. I use stocks between $25 and 150, but that is just my preference. change the values to whatever you desire.

the reverse is

Fetcher[
close is more than 2% below the low 1 day ago
close is below the open today
high today is above the low 1 day ago
]

as always, run the statistics on your strategy.....do the math...find the edge...develop the system, trade your system..no exceptions!

3gwealth
2 posts
msg #100754
Ignore 3gwealth
5/16/2011 11:11:14 PM

Thanks for ALLL of the Great info you have shared thus far.

I have 2 questions to make sure I'm following and understanding your method correctly.

1. For the 1st scan that is done on the weekends, do you change the date offset at all or just the % only to come up the with the 20 for your watchlist?

2. For the long and short scan filters do I have to input "add to watchlist" in order for them to choose from the 20 list?

THANKS AGAIN!

taylorsk
106 posts
msg #100755
Ignore taylorsk
5/16/2011 11:36:07 PM

HI there,

I generally just change the %.

Last week it was 4.75%....generally I will compile the list of all stocks that hit on that filter mon - fri of that week. If that returns 19 stocks I might check the prior friday as opposed to changing the %, If I am just looking for one more stock or something like that.

but generally all stocks that hit that 4.75% filter mon to friday will becmoe my watchlist stocks for the next week.

thh input I use is

apply to watch list(45)

where 45 is the name of the watchlist I created based on all stocks mon fri that hit the 4.75%

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Realtime Gap Scan<< 1 2 3 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.