StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Repost from section: Announcements<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up
four
5,087 posts
msg #124039
Ignore four
6/16/2015 3:09:18 PM

stockfetcher
890 posts
msg #124036 6/16/2015 12:49:22 PM

On August 1, 2015 StockFetcher will discontinue the Backtesting feature. At that point, the Backtesting functionality, as well as any saved tests, will no longer be available on StockFetcher. If you require raw results from any of your tests prior to that date, please be sure to use the CSV option from the Trades or Equity Summary tabs to download the data.

Additionally, if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at support@stockfetcher.com.

Thank you,
StockFetcher Support

sohailmithani
192 posts
msg #124042
Ignore sohailmithani
6/16/2015 4:02:04 PM

This is BS. They do not want to work hard to improve, instead avoiding it altogether. Now what are we paying them for?

novacane32000
331 posts
msg #124043
Ignore novacane32000
6/16/2015 5:13:39 PM

Wow!! Whats up with that? any particular reason?

marine2
963 posts
msg #124047
Ignore marine2
6/16/2015 5:56:51 PM

You would at least expect them to use it in their advanced subscription level and not just eliminate it altogether. Unless of course their backtesting tool was so inaccurate and unfixable that they HAD to eliminate it. Reasons for this major elimination should be explained to their subscribers. Since they have decided to eliminate this tool you would expect our subscription cost would be reduced as well. What do others think about this?

marine2
963 posts
msg #124048
Ignore marine2
6/16/2015 6:01:07 PM

Ok, I got more info on this and due to lack of interest and the cost of supporting this tool they deemed it unwise to continue with it.

agawfi
6 posts
msg #124050
Ignore agawfi
6/16/2015 7:42:55 PM

I don't know if they had done a survey or what have you to show the lack of interest. But I am using this feature almost daily and I suggest to use this thread or a new thread to show if there is an interest on this feature or not.

I am in favor of keeping this feature !

sohailmithani
192 posts
msg #124054
Ignore sohailmithani
6/16/2015 10:32:08 PM

Now since SF turns a deaf ear to our hue and cry, anyone with a solution to this? Any other service with good data and better back testing service. I can switch.

I also use Amibroker but some how have issues with data. Applying certain filters on Nasdaq 100 only or SP100 only is a problem for me on that. I am not a techy so looking for something simple and easy to use.

SF was kind of doing the job for me. At least their back test results from 2012 was which I rely on as I used to download all trades every day (from back test) and match them with what I actually got and compared to see where the issue was or was data corrupt or fine etc. I found few minor issues but overall it was fine. Now that help will be gone and not sure how to rely on what the filters tell me. Without back test how do we test new ideas and see if even the filter was coded correctly.

Any one to the rescue????????????

Mactheriverrat
3,132 posts
msg #124055
Ignore Mactheriverrat
6/16/2015 11:23:45 PM

I didn't use it any way.
Keep it simple.

Price
Support and Resistance lines
Volume
A few EMA or MA if you like
IMHO.

sohailmithani
192 posts
msg #124056
Ignore sohailmithani
6/16/2015 11:42:00 PM

It is not a matter of simple or complicated coding but how to know what you have coded worked (survivorship bias and some other stuff not considered here) and has high probability of working when you put your real money onto it.

For me backtest was helpful since 2012 since I downloaded all trades taken by system according to my filters and then compared with what I actually bought. So survivorship bias was kind of taken care of (I would know a stock was taken of list with this).

Dylan
43 posts
msg #124071
Ignore Dylan
modified
6/17/2015 3:14:54 PM

Let’s be logical about this for a minute. When new members sign-up to SF I bet they usually spend most of their time in the Filter Exchange forum browsing for ideas. After gathering a few, they will want to backtest these ideas but won’t be able to do so. As a result, SF new client retention rate will drop substantially since learning the SF coding to modify and generate new ideas will now serve very little purpose. This will also discourage current members from posting in the forums since their ideas won’t be able to get backtested which will in turn lower the engagement levels. Members who chose to stay with SF will only do so temporarily until they learn a new language code that will allow them to transport their SF ideas, and backtest them elsewhere at which point SF will become of no value.

As some members have already pointed out. If cost seems to be part of the problem, why not make it available as an add-on feature? I bet some of us would be willing to pay for it. Very few of us can trade through simple obseration of squiggly lines on a chart which to me has become the bottom line. Most of us need to backtest our ideas before putting our hard earned money into practice. If client retention rate is pointless to SF then I would say ignore these messages. But, I really hope SF reconsiders this. Or, perhaps SF has decided to adopt a new business plan and has begun heading in that direction. Which to me it seems to be case.

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Repost from section: Announcements<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.