StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Stochastic screening help<< >>Post Follow-up
gea0314
2 posts
msg #33796
Ignore gea0314
11/3/2004 5:36:56 PM

I am having trouble setting up a simple filter to find stocks where slow stochastic values would be between 20 to 30 increasing out of oversold area.

jpistell
123 posts
msg #33797
Ignore jpistell
11/3/2004 8:07:39 PM

It helps to visualize what the pattern looks like. You can break it down using the "days ago" text.

All scripts need a set up and then a "trigger" to produce the list. The possibilities are endless, but lets K.I.S.S. Stochastics has a zero line to help you set things up.

.....(my note)...1st we set the visualation up, an example would be:
Stochastics is above 0 _x_ days ago.
.....(my note)...then we get to get Stoch. to fall
and Stoch. has been decreasing over the last _x_ days
.....(my note)... now lets sweeten the setup
and volume has been decreasing for 3 days
and stochastics is below _x_
.....(my note)... now we have the oversold setup, now we need the "trigger"

and stochastic has crossed above _____
or
and stochastic has made a new 20 week low
or
and stochasticK has crossed above Stoch. D
etc....

Hope this helps,
Joe

p.s. Oscillators are influenced by trends (or lack there of). Enter signals and exit signals produced by Osc's need to be governed by the trend of the stock.

Example:
If Your stock is uptrending, and wish to go long, the "K crossing above D" works well, but, the sell side signal where D crossed below K is most often a bad signal. If you look at Stoch. in an uptrend, you'll see nice rounded stoch's and bumpy whipsaw exit signals.

If your stock is downtrending, then flip this all around.

TAKE A MOMENT AND REFLECT ON THIS....
If your going long, wishing to use stochastics and grab onto a stock in a downtrend, you're in a whole heep-a-trouble as downtrending stocks AND oscillators work best in going short.

Lastly, trendless stocks are an oscllators best friend.

EWZuber
1,373 posts
msg #33832
Ignore EWZuber
11/8/2004 12:48:24 AM

Another approach
Show stocks where Slow Stochastic(5,3) Fast %K crossed above Slow Stochastic(5,3) Slow %D and and Slow Stochastic(5,3) Fast %K is below 40 and Average Volume(90) is above 100000 and close is between .5 and 10.

The parameters that you are looking for, IMO, lack the ability to discern between stocks that are going to continue the move and stocks that are likely to fail at confirming a new accumulation phase.
To make this determination weekly stochastics will need to be taken into account at a minimum.

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Stochastic screening help<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.