StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Stock Data Granularity Unacceptable for Penny Stocks<< >>Post Follow-up
olathegolf
119 posts
msg #90593
Ignore olathegolf
3/31/2010 12:54:18 AM

Has anyone experienced problems indicating that data used by SF (for penny stocks) does not contain sufficient significant digits? I was playing around with simple filters for stocks less less than 0.1 and noticed some peculiar "Change %" reported by SF. Upon further inspection, it appears that the data may be rounding off to the nearest 100th instead of nearest 10,000th. It's also possible that the data stream received by SF does not contain this granularity. That makes a huge difference when you calculate the percentage change from the previous days close.

Run the following:
[price < 0.1
close is 50% below close 1 day ago
volume > 50000]

For March 30, 2010, I get 33 hits.

I looked on http://www.google.com/finance and checked each of the stocks and determined the following:
1. 7 stock "Change%" reported by SF are correct.
2. 26 stock "Change%" reported by SF are incorrect.

I've run many backtests with penny stocks and I believe a large percentage of these are in error.

I hope I am missing something here. I have not gotten a satisfactory response from SF to explain this. Please review and advise if you can shed some light on this.

Thanks.

olathegolf
119 posts
msg #90631
Ignore olathegolf
modified
4/1/2010 3:29:52 AM

Apparently SF has fixed this issue. I have not formally heard from them but the 33 stocks retrieved previously has been reduced to 11. The 11 appear to be correct. Thanks.

Update: I received the following response from SF, 4/1/10:

"Thank you for the feedback. As indicated previously, the data precision issues you highlighted, with respect to our end-of-day updates, have been resolved. Additionally, as evidenced by your results, StockFetcher does receive and employ floating point precision up to 4 significant digits for pricing data."

moby
314 posts
msg #90636
Ignore moby
4/1/2010 8:42:08 AM

Fetcher[price < 0.1
close is 50% below close 1 day ago
volume > 50000
]

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Stock Data Granularity Unacceptable for Penny Stocks<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.