StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Stop Loss Question<< >>Post Follow-up
four
5,087 posts
msg #103148
Ignore four
modified
10/29/2011 12:23:15 PM

Scenario 1:

No stop loss on the day of trade.

-- OR --

Scenario 2:

Immediately place a stop loss on the day of trade.

Thanks for your responses.

gmg733
788 posts
msg #103149
Ignore gmg733
10/29/2011 1:39:33 PM

Depends on trade plan and methodology. But you knew that.

Place stop at the same time of your order. Several ways to set stops. Since I look for swing points I set stop below swing point low (or high for a short). This was my method. I trade options almost exclusively and there are other ways of controlling risk with options. So no stops for me anymore.

The only thing a stop loss guarentees is a loss. :)

miketranz
956 posts
msg #103153
Ignore miketranz
10/29/2011 5:34:09 PM

Let's put it like this,how much money do you want to lose?

jimvin
170 posts
msg #103154
Ignore jimvin
10/29/2011 7:44:40 PM

My trading style is not very refined: in on Monday at open buying at market price, out on Friday at 3:30; 10 stocks total using a base investment of 100K.

That being given as a qualifier, I use a trailing loss stop of 5% for each stock which I set at about 9:45 Monday morning when my buys have gone through.

It doesn't kick in often, but it's saved me a lot of money in rough markets, especially wihen taking a chance on OTCBB picks...

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Stop Loss Question<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.