StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Strong Dollar Filter<< >>Post Follow-up
gmg733
788 posts
msg #132783
Ignore gmg733
modified
11/25/2016 12:04:09 PM

All,

Greetings! I took an idea from johnpaulca and some work KevinGA previously did and came up with a filter that looks at correlation to the US dollar or in the filters case the UUP ETF. The premise is if you feel the dollar which has been strong lately continues its plight to 'Make America Great Again', then you can use this filter to look at stocks that have a strong correlation to the dollar. I feel the filter doesn't need a lot of explaining.

Fetcher[
close is above 10
average volume(30) is above 500000
not etf
corr(uup,65, close) > .6

add column weekly roc(14,1) {14 week performance}
add column corr(uup,65, close) {correlation to Dollar}
add column industry

sort on column 4 descending
]

Here is the prospectus for UUP. If you feel there is a better vehicle to do this, then great change the filter.

https://www.invesco.com/portal/site/us/investors/etfs/product-detail?productId=UUP&ticker=UUP&title=powershares-db-us-dollar-index-bullish-fund#overview

How to trade this? Well, this is not a pick me and I'll make money type of filter. You can use this filter to find a basket of stocks that you can buy on the premise that the dollar will get stronger and so will the stock price of these equities. This filter tells you what is in play based upon your dollar assumption. You can use it to create your own watch list or symlist for your favorite filter.

My conjecture: I do believe for the next few years the dollar will be stronger. I think the recent market rotation is telling me this. I will be trading this by picking non-correlated sector stocks (after a pull back mind you) and finding the ones with the best options premiums. I'll set up a core position and sell calls against them every month decreasing my cost basis until my dollar assumption changes. A great kicker to these stocks is a lot of them have dividends too.

Of course the market could go to hell too and none of this will matter. Nonetheless, trade the market you have not the one you think you'll have. For general market timing I use the 12 month SMA found on this site:

http://www.advisorperspectives.com/dshort/updates/2016/10/31/moving-averages-october-month-end-update

Lots of good info there. I would not be long if price closes below the 12 month SMA. Change the filter to your liking and I hope it helps.

johnpaulca
12,036 posts
msg #132789
Ignore johnpaulca
11/25/2016 4:17:13 PM

gmg733....thanks for running with this, I do believe the dollar will run, this not due to a strong US economy but weak currency from:
Euro (EUR), 57.6% weight
Japanese yen (JPY) 13.6% weight
Pound sterling (GBP), 11.9% weight
Canadian dollar (CAD), 9.1% weight
Swedish krona (SEK), 4.2% weight
Swiss franc (CHF) 3.6% weight

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Strong Dollar Filter<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.