StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Swing Trade Filter Help<< >>Post Follow-up
daybuck
19 posts
msg #120397
Ignore daybuck
6/4/2014 9:27:22 AM

The following is the filter componants and method used by a successful swing trader that was posted on another site. I thought it looked interesting and wanted to see if any of the programers out there would take a swing at making it into a clickable filter. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

My swing trades only use three pieces of data: price, volume, and time. Absolutely no fundamental information at all.

Filter #1: Price is above $15 and average volume (90 days) is above 20,000 shares traded daily.

Filter #2: Price is above simple moving average (30).

Filter #3: On Balance Volume has been increasing for the last 30 days.

Filter #4: RSI(5) is below 70.

Filter #5: The price has been decreasing for at least 1 day (I prefer 3 to 4 days) prior to entry.

Filter #6: The stop-loss area (exit) must be within 2% of the entry price. The chart must offer me an easily recognizable and identifiable exit (ie..support area, 10 day MA, 30 day MA, flags and pennant patterns are best). I look for rising bottoms, symetrical rising trends, higher highs and higher lows. This is done with visual observation of the chart in multiple time frames.

From these 6 filters I usually have a list of 50 to 100 stocks in my watch list for the trading day. Takes me about an hour per day.

After the first hour of the trading day (10:30am) I load up my watch list in real time. I cross off any stocks that are red (going down). I cross off any stocks that are up more than 2% from yesterday's close (too high). This usually leaves me with about 15 to 30 names that are tradeable that day. They are in my "sweet spot" with a justificable risk/reward potential.

Filter #7: I check each of the 15 to 30 names on my list by sector and industry. I cross off any names whose sectors and industry are not rising and beating the S&P 500 within multiple time frames (1 week, 1 month, 2 month) Now I might have 10 to 15 names.

I take the 10 to 15 names and note duplication of industries within these names. I compare each stock against the ones in the same industry by relative strength within multiple time frames (1 week, 1 month, 2 months).

I buy the strongest name in that industry. Once I enter the stock I never exit the same day.

daybuck
19 posts
msg #120902
Ignore daybuck
6/27/2014 4:04:44 PM

Nothing... Come on guys. I've seen some awsome filters here created by some very intellegent folks. I wouldn't think this would be too tough to program.

four
5,087 posts
msg #120903
Ignore four
modified
6/27/2014 4:17:24 PM

My swing trades only use three pieces of data: price, volume, and time. Absolutely no fundamental information at all.

Filter #1: Price is above $15 and average volume (90 days) is above 20,000 shares traded daily.

close > 15
average volume(90) > 20000

Filter #2: Price is above simple moving average (30).

close > ma(30)

Filter #3: On Balance Volume has been increasing for the last 30 days.

OBV has been increasing for 30 days

Filter #4: RSI(5) is below 70.

rsi(15) < 70

Filter #5: The price has been decreasing for at least 1 day (I prefer 3 to 4 days) prior to entry.

/*
set{daily_diff, close - open}
show stocks where daily_diff has been below 0 for the last 3 days
*/and open has been decreasing for 3 days

Filter #6: The stop-loss area (exit) must be within 2% of the entry price. The chart must offer me an easily recognizable and identifiable exit (ie..support area, 10 day MA, 30 day MA, flags and pennant patterns are best). I look for rising bottoms, symetrical rising trends, higher highs and higher lows. This is done with visual observation of the chart in multiple time frames.

From these 6 filters I usually have a list of 50 to 100 stocks in my watch list for the trading day. Takes me about an hour per day.

After the first hour of the trading day (10:30am) I load up my watch list in real time. I cross off any stocks that are red (going down). I cross off any stocks that are up more than 2% from yesterday's close (too high). This usually leaves me with about 15 to 30 names that are tradeable that day. They are in my "sweet spot" with a justificable risk/reward potential.

Filter #7: I check each of the 15 to 30 names on my list by sector and industry. I cross off any names whose sectors and industry are not rising and beating the S&P 500 within multiple time frames (1 week, 1 month, 2 month) Now I might have 10 to 15 names.

I take the 10 to 15 names and note duplication of industries within these names. I compare each stock against the ones in the same industry by relative strength within multiple time frames (1 week, 1 month, 2 months).

I buy the strongest name in that industry. Once I enter the stock I never exit the same day.

four
5,087 posts
msg #120904
Ignore four
modified
6/27/2014 4:19:12 PM

Fetcher[
close > 15
close > ma(30)
OBV has been increasing for 30 days
rsi(15) < 70
/*
*/
and open has been decreasing for 3 days
]

daybuck
19 posts
msg #120906
Ignore daybuck
6/28/2014 9:33:59 AM

Thanks FOUR for the help. Wonder what is causing it to return zero results? The author of the filter claimed to get 30-50 stocks per day and sorted through those for his set-ups. I think he was using the finviz screener but referenced Stock-Fetcher also? Your work gives me a good starting point anyhow. Thank you

four
5,087 posts
msg #120907
Ignore four
6/28/2014 11:56:22 AM

To check each line's percentage of "survivors"...

Go 2 buttons to the left of the button FETCH STOCKS! (after running filter)
Find the button titled TOOLS...
Then click CHECK FILTER SURVIVORS

This will let you see how each line filters what is fetched

- HTH

duke56468
683 posts
msg #120908
Ignore duke56468
6/28/2014 12:23:59 PM

The OBV needs to be reduced to under 5 days to get results

duke56468
683 posts
msg #120909
Ignore duke56468
6/28/2014 7:11:57 PM

maybe something like this will work

Fetcher[
close > 15
close > ma(30)
set{obv30ma, cma(obv,30)}
slope of obv30ma > 0
rsi(15) < 70
/*
*/
and open has been decreasing for 3 days
]

PABLORO66
8 posts
msg #137949
Ignore PABLORO66
9/3/2017 7:29:07 PM

The problem that I am having with the formula is that I need the prior 3 days to be going down, and this formula counts the current day. Does anyone know how I can get the prior 3 days without counting the current day

PABLORO66
8 posts
msg #137950
Ignore PABLORO66
9/3/2017 7:48:30 PM

does anyone know if the data is live during market hours or if it is updated after the close

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Swing Trade Filter Help<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.