StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Think you're a Trader? IRS may disagree.<< >>Post Follow-up
welliott111
98 posts
msg #66958
Ignore welliott111
9/4/2008 4:46:44 PM

http://online.wsj.com/article_print/SB122039907716592937.html

Anyone had this happen? Is anyone here considered a "Trader" as the IRS sees it or know a way around this situation? TIA

MoneyFetcher
22 posts
msg #66977
Ignore MoneyFetcher
9/5/2008 11:55:30 AM

That's weird...

They specifically mention swing trades, but then go on to state that there were not enough day trades. A swing trade can last a week or so at times can't it?

tortexal
9 posts
msg #66991
Ignore tortexal
9/5/2008 4:41:10 PM

I'm actually not too surprised by this.

decipherlinda
133 posts
msg #67152
Ignore decipherlinda
9/10/2008 11:50:32 PM

There's a very good book on this "Tax Guide for Traders" by Robert Green costs $39 on Amazon.com.

Green discusses how to avoid this. As I recall he says that you should try not to hold a stock for more than 21 days, try to trade most every day although in-and-out on the same day is not necessary. He suggests you get some kind of log book and record the times you work on investing and what you did that day. Also suggests you take seminars, buy books (I rent from library) and other forms of education (self or othewise) to demonstrate a professional approach and treat it (and document it) as though you had a full time job investing.

After reading his book, I'm not surprised at the judges ruling in the case of this couple. Green's book is excellent and shows how to avoid the pitfalls.

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Think you're a Trader? IRS may disagree.<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.