StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Tradespoon<< >>Post Follow-up
pthomas215
1,251 posts
msg #128683
Ignore pthomas215
5/25/2016 12:51:12 AM

Has anyone ever used the tradespoon service? Is it any good?

fotchstecker
304 posts
msg #128692
Ignore fotchstecker
modified
5/25/2016 10:26:54 AM

I've used it and know people who have worked extensively with Vlad and TradeSpoon. On the few occasions I interacted with him I always found him helpful. I used it just to give it a try, since black-box services for me are usually only experiments and not really central to my trading. Vlad (or his proxy) seems to be fairly active on StockTwits.

The service had a major overhaul in the middle of my using it (a couple of years ago). TradeSpoon released some new screening tools and revised some of its signalling. It's seemed to be pretty well built and there was some interesting data in there, particularly if you use options. The couple of times I reached out to customer service, they were fast in replying.

IMHO, to maximize the use of a service like this, you really have to have position sizing down to a science and an account size that will support the trading frequency/commissions cost relationship. That is to say, the signals in this service (and any service) can be negatively or positively affected by stops or position terminations external to those signaled by the service itself. In other-other words, the signal is important but the exit is really important, and the ability to accommodate the incoming signals is dependent on both.

If possible, you should take a look through some of the historical equity buys -- some of them are higher-priced stocks. If the account portion you dedicate to a black box is (too) small and you don't really have a position sizing plan in place, you're almost basically trading on a discretionary basis because you will find yourself tied up in positions with no available cash. Then what?

Therefore, I can't say it's "good" or "bad", but I can say that I think it's of high quality and is reputable. How you make use of the signals will impact whether you have a "good" or "bad" experience.

pthomas215
1,251 posts
msg #128695
Ignore pthomas215
5/25/2016 10:40:21 AM

That was a great answer. I run into that a lot. where I have a decent recommendation but the stock is 150. I appreciate your answer a lot, as I think I am going to get used to trading options first and then check them out. with options I think it may be more useful to conserve cash.

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Tradespoon<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.