StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Tradestation Pros/Cons???/<< >>Post Follow-up
abbabb1tt
18 posts
msg #41631
Ignore abbabb1tt
2/28/2006 10:53:51 AM

Anyone out there who can tell me the pros/cons of this platform? Thanks in advance....

Baja Ed
11 posts
msg #41654
Ignore Baja Ed
2/28/2006 11:00:41 PM

I am a former Phophet.net & Optionsxpress user, I do mostly options. I looked at a lot of other choices and decided TS was my best choice. I signed up this past Dec. and took advantage of their 1 month free deal. However, I had to cough up a minimum of $5000 and go thru all the paper work to open up an account. The 5K is mine to trade with & they make monthly withdrawl of $99.00 for the service. There is no software charge and if you place enough trades, the $99.00 is waived.

I placed my first few trades just last week. It took me 3 months of self education to get the program set up to my style and be very comfortable with navigating my way thru it. TS has 2 day seminars which I will attend. TS has 1 hour archived on line seminars which I watched many times over. I spent a lot of time and still do on their forums. There are many components of TS which I haven't touch yet. My next objective is to study and learn TRO's Slot Machine.

Make sure you have a computer with a lot a horsepower and a decent monitor(s)which leads me to what I just bought today. For all you single monitor folks, check out the new Gateway 21" LCD Widescreen. Turn the monitor 90 degrees and it goes from landscape to portrait automatically. One can really stack a lot of lower studies on it and still have a normal bar chart.

So there you have from a newbie at TS. I am very please with the software and the staff has been very helpful... and orders are filled in about 1/2 nano second.

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #41657
Ignore TheRumpledOne
3/1/2006 9:16:22 AM

I use it daily.

Once you get past the first hurdle on the learning curve it's great.

scvidar
87 posts
msg #42384
Ignore scvidar
3/23/2006 3:51:22 PM

TRO

I am finally ready for Tradestation. Is it offered as a stand alone piece of software that is purchased or web based and leased? Also, since I already know the stocks I am interested in, do I need Radarscreen also? Sorry for all the questions, but I am just trying to figure out all the necessary steps before I commit to learning a new software based system.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I know I could just call Tradestation up, but talking to someone who actually uses it is more valuable to me. Also what is the link to your Tradestation discussion group?

Thanks,

Karl

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #42385
Ignore TheRumpledOne
3/23/2006 3:56:35 PM

TradeStation is a program that you download and run on your computer.

Yes, I would not want to trade without radarscreen!!

But if you are not daytrading, you really do not need it.

HTH.

Feel free to ask more questions.

nikoschopen
2,824 posts
msg #42391
Ignore nikoschopen
3/23/2006 4:42:37 PM

TradeStation 2000i & its predecessors were stand-alone products that required separate datafeeds. Starting with TradeStation 8, it has become what's known as an "On-Demand" platform where datafeed is retrieved from the TS server. In order to use TS effectively, you're required to learn EasyLanguage. But the learning curve should be fairly low, considering that it comes with an excellent primer and that there's a large presence of support network available (not to mention that TRO is actively involved in TS forum *wink wink*). Check out the forum for more info (https://www.tradestation.com/Discussions/Main.aspx). In order to view TS forum, however, you must be a registered TS user. There are also various splinter groups you may find in Yahoo! Groups (http://groups.yahoo.com/search?query=tradestation).

There's a recurring monthly platform charge unless you meet their criteria of minimum monthly trade volume. RadarScreen is not required but, as TRO already mentioned, it can be helpful when screening the market in real-time.
But, above all, what's nice about TS is the ability to automate your trades based on the strategies you have backtested.

scvidar
87 posts
msg #42395
Ignore scvidar
3/23/2006 6:05:21 PM

Thanks for the inputs. Since I already have the stocks I am interested in, do I really need Radarscreen as at this time I am not interested in real time screening. As long as Tradestation will automate my trades based upon the parameters I desire.

Thanks,

Karl

nikoschopen
2,824 posts
msg #42398
Ignore nikoschopen
3/23/2006 6:37:21 PM

There are a lot more to RadarScreen than just intraday screening. For instance, RadaScreen allows you to create customized indicators and plot them on a chart in anyway you prefer, then add personalized columns along with conditional alerts to track them. You will find more info as well as third-party plug-ins for RadarScreen in the forum.

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #42400
Ignore TheRumpledOne
3/23/2006 8:13:49 PM

With RadarScreen you can setup indicators to give you real time alerts.

Not to mention, if you're just traded a select few stocks, you can load them into my MultiFrequency SLOT MACHINE and see you stock on multiple time frames.

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Tradestation Pros/Cons???/<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.