StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Tweaking a Filter<< >>Post Follow-up
carolynandjoel
30 posts
msg #37721
Ignore carolynandjoel
8/30/2005 4:28:10 PM

Hello again,
I have been transfixed by the messages today. I don't know if it is the bad weather from the hurricane or if something is finally clicking in my head but I think I am making a huge change in my thinking about trading. I believe that a large part of my previous training may have been CYA on the part of the trainers. If they turn me into the world's most conservative trader, the likelihood of my losing a lot of money and coming back with a lawyer to the trainer is greatly reduced. So, now I have to consider becoming a bit less conservative. I think I am ready to do that. So, with that in mind, I am trying to write a filter which will bring back stocks which have a DI+ moving higher and a DI- moving lower (very recently) and simultaneously, having the 5, 15, and 30 MA's all stacked up (again recently) in that order. It would be nice if I had a volume surge too. With that in mind, I have written the following and it is not bringing up satisfying stocks. Do any of you have any ideas about how to edit this search? Thanks in advance, Carolyn

Show stocks where MA(5) is above MA(15)
and MA(15) is above MA(30)
and +DI(14) is higher than -DI(14) today
and Average Volume(10) is above 100000

carolynandjoel
30 posts
msg #37737
Ignore carolynandjoel
8/31/2005 10:14:31 AM

OK, folks. I need help with this screen. It brings up stocks with the correct characteristics but the Xovers occurred several days ago. I would like to get stocks in which the DI+ has just crossed above the DI-. Then I would like to see the 5,15,and 30 MA's stacked up in that order. Here is the changed version:
and +DI(14) is above 20
and -DI(14) is below 15
and ADX(14) is above 20
and Volume is above Average volume

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #37738
Ignore TheRumpledOne
8/31/2005 11:34:06 AM

Your filter:

Fetcher[
and +DI(14) is above 20
and -DI(14) is below 15
and ADX(14) is above 20
]

Is "locking" the DIs with the ABOVE/BELOW selection criteria.

This version just selects the crossovers and displays the values:

Fetcher[
and +DI(14) crossed -DI(14)

add column ADX(14)
add column +DI(14)
add column -DI(14)

add column ma(5)
add column ma(15)
add column ma(30)
sort column 5 descending
]

Now you have a filter you can "tweak".

*** TIP ***

When building filters, it is better to start out with ONE main selection and display the other values then add more selection criteria based on what you see.

MAY ALL YOUR FILLS BE COMPLETE.

gist007
1 posts
msg #37745
Ignore gist007
8/31/2005 7:20:42 PM

carolynandjoel
30 posts
msg #37748
Ignore carolynandjoel
8/31/2005 10:22:54 PM

Dear TRO,
I can't thank you enough for helping with that Filter. I also appreciate the "TIP" on how to go about setting up a filter.

With respect to the specific filter in question, I can't give up on the idea that +DI and -DI cross over has a lot to offer. The problem is that the current filter is picking up the cross-over several days late.

GLGene and I talked this evening and we could not "tweak" the filter in such a way as to produce the correct +DI/-DI cross over.

Then we talked about adding the "black line" which is also extant on the ADX. However, we are not sure what that line is. Stockcharts school says that it is a moving average. Would that be a 14 period MA? Do you (or anyone else) know what that black line is that is supposed to indicate the power of the move (regardless of direction).

I don't know any other way to get that +DI/-DI cross over soon enough to produce an entry point.

Again, thanks for the previous help and thanks, in advance, for any future assistance you can provide. Carolyn Senter

carolynandjoel
30 posts
msg #37749
Ignore carolynandjoel
8/31/2005 10:42:52 PM

Once Again,
If this sounds dumb, I'll have to ask your indulgence. But let's say that eventually, I find a filter which brings up stocks that I find compatible with my investment strategy. But, I can't afford to buy them all. Which do I pick.
When I worked with VectorVest, we would develop a search and then buy a fixed number of the stocks from that search (usually the top ten). But how do I do it with SF?

Should I be developing a secondary filter? If so, what?

Sorry if this is off base. Thanks for your help. Carolyn Sente

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #37750
Ignore TheRumpledOne
8/31/2005 11:11:04 PM

Fetcher[
and +DI(14) crossed ABOVE -DI(14)

add column ADX(14)
add column +DI(14)
add column -DI(14)

add column ma(5)
add column ma(15)
add column ma(30)

draw +DI(14)
draw -DI(14)
draw ADX(14)

sort column 5 descending
]

Looks like I left off ABOVE in the previous version.

da-net
55 posts
msg #37787
Ignore da-net
9/3/2005 10:45:59 AM

TRO did a wonderful job of helping with the programming for your filter, this is just a different approach to the problem.

Stocks are optionable
And AvgVol(50) > 400000
And Volume and has been increasing for 5 days
And Close > Open
And EMA(5) > EMA(15)
And EMA(15) > MA(35)
And +DI(9) is higher than -DI(9)

I have been toying with the filter that you posted. I have attempted to define it an effort to achieve results that I would want to eyeball in order to choose the best possible trades in the least amount of time. I find that I am a very visually oriented swing trader. You are welcome to use or ignore it.

LIQUIDITY:

· I chose NOT to look at the entire universe of stocks in the Stock Fetcher database, but rather stocks that had options should I want to control risk.
· Next I felt that your liquidity selection was far too wide so I narrowed it with an increase in Average Volume for 50 periods (a little over two trading months). This shows issues that are more stable in any market condition.
· Next I wanted the volume increasing for at least 5 periods (1 trading week) as this shows recent increasing strength.

PRICING:

· I want to see the closing price above the open to confirm the volume strength. This is used more to limit my eyeball searching of the resultant charts.
· I used EMA for the first two because they are more reactive to pricing pressures, but used a 35 period SMA for the last. This SMA could be changed or eliminated if needed.
· I kept your Directional Indicators in and toyed with the periods of look back, but found them of no use with the tweaking already done.

After toying with it these few days I found that if you look closely at those stocks with several percentage point increases on the day of the scan you limit the amount of time required to choose and see the better choices. Yes, this way may eliminate some potential winners, but the time saved I feel offsets this point. I did not specify a price range to search, but that may be a tweak that you would want to insert possibly at a new line 4.

Hope this helps!

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #37798
Ignore TheRumpledOne
9/3/2005 2:31:19 PM

Fetcher[
set{claop, count(close above open,1)}
set{opapv, count(open above close 1 day ago,1)}

and +DI(14) crossed ABOVE -DI(14)

add column ADX(14)
add column +DI(14)
add column -DI(14)

add column ma(5)
add column ma(15)
add column ma(30)

draw +DI(14)
draw -DI(14)
draw ADX(14)

/* VOLUME CALCULATIONS */
set{v, volume 1 day ago}
set{volinc, volume - v}
set{volpc, volinc / v}
set{volpct, volpc * 100}

set{VolZ, days(volume < 1,100)}
set{VolUp, days(volume is below volume 1 day ago,100)}
set{VolDn, days(volume is above volume 1 day ago,100)}
set{VlXvl, VolUp - VolDn}

set{vck1, volume 1 day ago }
set{vck, volume / vck1 }
set{vdbl, days(vck < 2, 100)}

and add column VlXvl
and add column Vdbl
and add column volpct

/* END VOLUME CALCULATIONS */

add column industry

add column claop
add column opapv
add column ADX(9)
add column +DI(9)
add column -DI(9)
add column avgvol(50)

set{dmi9, count(pdi(9) above mdi(9),1)}
add column dmi9
sort column 5 descending

]

I used some of DANET's ideas...

display vlxvl: # days volume increasing/decreasing

display avgvol(50)

display dmi9: 1 when +di(9) above -di(9)

display claop: 1 when close above open

display opapv: 1 when open above previous close (gap up open)

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Tweaking a Filter<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.