StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · VIX Variance Signal<< 1 2 3 4 >>Post Follow-up
tmanbone
124 posts
msg #81359
Ignore tmanbone
10/18/2009 9:23:46 PM

I'm curious how a % trailing stop after the 5dma cross would work for your methodology, over a large # of trades. The Oct 1 trade would have benefited very well. Nice work.

medowz
59 posts
msg #81364
Ignore medowz
modified
10/19/2009 1:11:19 AM

BarTune1,

Excellent! Your variance signals tell you when the conditions are appropriate to put on a trade such a the SPY or QQQQ or some other ETF and the daily price action vs the 5 day moving average tell you when to exit. The exit triggers when price crosses the 5 day moving average. Sounds pretty straight forward. I assume it would take a few days for these trades to play out. Is that your experience?

I like your strategy for using those highly leveraged and correlated ETFs, too. I'd imagine you would have to watch them pretty close though.

Everything makes sense now. Looking forward to the posts.

All the best,
mike

BarTune1
441 posts
msg #81383
Ignore BarTune1
10/19/2009 2:40:15 PM

You have it exactly right Mike .....

One further note, I am finding the signal is slightly better when you are buying an oversold security when it and/or the market is trading above its 200 dma. Conversely, selling or shorting into strength on the sell signals works better when the security or market is below the 200 dma.

Right here I am short and am fighting the tape .... and i am losing the battle today.

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #81384
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
10/19/2009 2:47:32 PM

You can lose the battle - just don't lose the war.

Good luck, as always buddy!

marine2
963 posts
msg #81421
Ignore marine2
10/20/2009 2:06:46 AM

Can anyone run a chart with both the graphing lines of the Vix and .djia (Dow Jones Industrial Average) together on one chart. That way we can see the correlation on when the Vix is down or up and what happens to Dow Jones Industrial Average? Thank you.

BarTune1
441 posts
msg #81424
Ignore BarTune1
10/20/2009 6:32:50 AM

marine2,

check out the thread "volatility indexes" for a comparison of the equity moves against all volatility indexes including the Dow

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · VIX Variance Signal<< 1 2 3 4 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.