StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · VIX and SPX Charts<< 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 14 >>Post Follow-up
Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #83956
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
modified
12/7/2009 2:36:17 PM

VIX was making a black candle (a good sign for the market) until just a few minutes ago - now it is a white candle, probably indicating continued choppiness or decline in store for tomorrow.

Dollar is up, then down, then up again. No clear rhythm here today.

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #83968
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
12/7/2009 4:13:29 PM

VIX closes as a black candle. Take note of this - it has been a strong indicator of an UP day for the SPX.

BarTune1
441 posts
msg #83977
Ignore BarTune1
modified
12/7/2009 8:56:49 PM

Hey Kevin,

Pretty hard to play anything here based on my broad market indicators. I have the VIX pretty much sitting on its 10 dma with no divergence. No edge whatsoever. I did short some FSLR at $135.85. Had an order into buy UGL a little lower than its low so it didn't fill.

Going to be travelling the next couple days with limited internet so it is not a bad time for me to back off until something more promising comes along.

BarTune1
441 posts
msg #84058
Ignore BarTune1
12/8/2009 4:56:42 PM

Kevin, I hoping you didn't get too beat up with your gold plays .... I put in an order the other day but it didn't fill ... probably a good thing.

Anyways, remember to beware of commodities plays ... they tend to run when they move. I think I am going to permanently remove them from candidates for reversion to the mean trades.

I have been looking at some momentum based systems that utilize trailing stops. I'm thinking I should use those systems exclusively on commodity based trades.

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #84415
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
12/14/2009 5:57:32 PM

I have been looking at some momentum based systems that utilize trailing stops. I'm thinking I should use those systems exclusively on commodity based trades.
++++++++++++++++++

Is this something you can share at the moment?

BarTune1
441 posts
msg #84416
Ignore BarTune1
12/14/2009 6:16:02 PM

hey kev,

i was playing around with some things but dropped it .... picked up around $7K with my reversion to the mean trades last week ... so why screw with a good thing ?

all I know is that I am definately not going to make any straight commodity plays when using reversion to the mean ... too many times I've seen the positions run ...

I fooled around with some plays using stops the two weeks prior trying to catch a move but got stopped out on 3 of four trades at a loss ...

BarTune1
441 posts
msg #84505
Ignore BarTune1
12/16/2009 12:32:48 PM

Kevin,

We are not too far off on getting a VIX signal.

I also follow the VXX closely and if you notice, the RSI(2) is <1 at .88. I picked up 700 shares today.

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #84507
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
12/16/2009 1:14:50 PM

VXX is currently below the lower BB(10,2), so that's definitely a good signal for a reversion to the mean.

^VIX still needs to go below 20.27 to trigger a signal, or the ^SPX must close above 1117. I'd feel comfortable playing it if either or these happens. I still feel that we are looking at a supported market through the end of the year.

I guess we'll see what happens after the FOMC announcement. Market usually runs up ahead of it, then drops back down for the remainder of the day.

BarTune1
441 posts
msg #84510
Ignore BarTune1
modified
12/16/2009 2:48:49 PM

No doubt there is an upward seasonal bias but my screens have us close to the top of the channel on a short term basis.

I was able to close one reversion trade today, and at a profit - IOC which I had shorted a couple days ago at 70.70 and closed out at 68.75 today.

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #84513
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
modified
12/16/2009 2:57:55 PM

I also follow the VXX closely and if you notice, the RSI(2) is <1 at .88. I picked up 700 shares today.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Isn't 700 shares more than one of your standard trading units?

Your VXX play might work out nicely - DJ is now trading negative, as I had suspected it would after the FOMC announcement.

This level of predictability - I should have played it. Buy DXD or BGZ at the 10 AM turn, anticipating the gap to be faded.

Kevin

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · VIX and SPX Charts<< 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 14 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.