StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · What causes a stock to gap like this?<< >>Post Follow-up
up-n-up
10 posts
msg #42799
Ignore up-n-up
4/7/2006 9:19:47 AM

The question is basic, but I figure this is a good place to learn.

BBSE has been trading flat throught the day, then gaps up. What causes a stock to act like this? What puzzles me is that this has been going on more or less for the last 6 days. Granted there is a some directional movement througout the trading day, but it is mostly slight. Then the next day, gap up?!?! Due diligence cannot turn up any reason for these daily gaps.

Up

Show stocks where close is between 3 and .3
and average volume(10)is above 500000
and close is greater than open
and open is greater than close 1 day ago

EWZuber
1,373 posts
msg #42806
Ignore EWZuber
4/7/2006 3:48:21 PM

up-n-up, for the most part gaps are manipulated by big money. You and I could cause a gap but it would most likely immediately fail.
One reason gaps are used it to let big money cash out at a higher price immediately. Particularly if there has been a large amount of overhead supply that they can't get it through.
Big money lays out a block 'stop/limit buy' at a price above the close.
Often times this gap opens right at resistance. This is usually a giveaway that this is a sucker play and it is heading lower. Big Money feeds just enough on the ask side initially to get the retail traders excited into buying the gap and then Big Money turns and begins to sell into the artificially generated strength.

Gaps can also be used to move above stubborn resistance like a moving average.
Gaps down often open at some kind of support level, a long term MA or Trend line.
I suspect gaps down are caused by market makers just dropping the ask until it finds bidders.
Does this help?

up-n-up
10 posts
msg #42810
Ignore up-n-up
4/7/2006 5:44:04 PM

EW Zuber, this helps immensely.
BBSE Gapped up again today, from 1.85 to 1.91, then crashed to 1.61. I, thankfully, Stopped out at 1.82 for a quick 6% gain for 2 days. Resistance was set on Feb28 at 1.90's. Today must have been the sucker play day. If what you say is true, that big money is holding the price, should I be able to see this in a level II screen?

The big money gap up sounds dangerous. What usually happens after a sucker play?

Up-n-up

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · What causes a stock to gap like this?<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.